Pregnant women exposed to Chicken Pox?

I went to see my Grandma who was just told she is having a relapse of breast cancer. When I got there she also had the chicken pox. I've had the pox when I was little. I sat completely on the other side of the room, but still could this harm my baby or me?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 9:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Health

• I was exposed to shingles (which is also harmful to baby) during this pregnancy, my OB said as long as it wasn't close contact and for long there shouldn't be a problem but I could have a blood test to see if anything was going on. I had the blood test done and another ultrasound and had no issues. (I had lunch with my SIL who had shingles, sat next to her and shared a desert with her). I would let your provider know and they can talk to you about what to do to test to make sure everything is ok.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• When I was prego my daughter's DR would not let her have the chicken pox's shot 'cause they said that the baby could get it too. So she didn't get that shot until after my son was born. So it's possible. Stay away from people w/the chicken pox.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 11:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I just had the same issue. Check with your doctor about it right away. Even if you've had them, you could get The Shingles and they are very painful.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes, you can. Chicken pox went through my family when I was around 13, my aunt was pregnant and couldn't be around ANYONE is our family until the outbreak was over. Even if we didn't have the actual poxs, she couldn't be around us because we could have been carriers. I didn't get the pox that round (I was the ONLY one who didn't out of 10 grandkids). I got it at 23 years old and it was horrible and painful. I would stay away from anyone with chicken pox or those that have been exposed to chicken pox for atleast 2 weeks. Better safe than sorry. THIS IS THE REASON HAVING CHILDREN VACCINATED AGAINST CHICKEN POX AND EVEN MEASELS IS SO IMPORTANT.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It is NOT important to be vaccinated against the dang chicken pox. Hun, if you've had the pox, you SHOULD be immune and fine. Go have your titers tested by a Dr. to make sure you're immune if you're that worried. ;o) If you get the vaccine, it only lasts for so long and it eventually wears off. You'll have to get boosters with those toxins in them for your whole life, instead of just getting life time immunity from the actual disease.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I actually had the chicken pox when I was pregnant with my second child. It was my second time having them. I still had the scabs when my son was born. But now that son has a natural immunity. He's been around countless kids with chickenpox and has never caught them. My husband was the same way. All 5 of his siblings had them at the same time and he never got them. Nor did he when me and my oldest had them. So whether he gets the immunity from me or his did we will never know.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2009