Should you keep your eyes open?

When you at the dentist getting work done do you close your eyes or keep them open?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 9:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Health

• As a hygienist- I will tell you that we don't care (at least I don't) what you are looking at. I would say that more of my patients keep their eyes open- but truthfully I am looking in your mouth so I don't care where your eyes are! A lot of people have told me that they like to look at my glasses because then they can watch what I am doing. As long as you aren't a guy looking creepily into my eyes (it has happened more than once and makes me feel a little naked!) whatever you prefer is good for me. I alwys wondered what I should look at, though- you know- would she think I was wierd if my eyes were open/closed?? what was I supposed to do?? All the PP who said that they didn't want to have anything fall into their eyes- that is very smart because things do splatter some of the time!!
    stacy8606

Answer by stacy8606 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I keep them open. Even if they're getting a tool I'm not gonna like, I don't want any surprises. it's the same way when I give blood or get a shot. I'd rather watch and know when to expect it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Most of the time closed...though I do open my eyes to see what tool their getting next.

That light is too stinking bright, and I don't want some bit of toothpaste or tooth (if they're drilling) to fly into my eyes.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I close my eyes, I think it is just courteous. I would hate to have that job and have people stare at every freckle and hair on my face. I don't keep them closed the entire time, but if they are very close to my face I do.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I close them in case something- droplets, pieces of metal, bits of food or tooth, come flying out- I wouldn't want them to get in my eyes. Although I've heard it is better to keep your eyes open because it forces your mind to not completely focus on what is going on in your mouth- if you close your eyes all you have to concentrate on is the drill * shudder.*

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I close my eyes. My eyes are incredibly sensitive to light, I wear sunglasses whenever I drive in the day and one 40W bulb is enough to illuminate an entire room for me, so it's actually pretty painful to keep them open with that light on.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I just kinda look at the wall not at the people would you say that's rude?
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 11:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Keep 'em closed!!
    reccles

Answer by reccles at 11:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I keep them closed because I HATE going to the dentist, I am afraid of the dentist so I would rather NOT know what they are doing. Knock me out, do what you need and wake me up and let me go.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• OPEN... I have got to see what s going on in there
    castlseqween700

Answer by castlseqween700 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009