How early can Collic start? Is there anything that REALLY helps? Anything natural?

My nephew will be 2 weeks old on Saturday and he's extremely fussy. He also seems to be having some gastrointestinal issues.

Could it be something in my sister's diet?

He only seems happy when he's nursing but is having gas and a bit of spitting up. I never experienced these things with my children and my poor sister is at her wits end.

Any advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter and son-in-law got some drops at the health food store that were all natural and helped a lot. I'm sorry I don't remember what it was called.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• She could have an overactive letdown...read this
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    and read this
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/02colic_in_bf_baby.html
    Mylicon drops and gripe water helps tummy trouble a lot, doubt its her diet, theres a chance but usually its from OAL.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• gripe water!!! Its chammomile, ginger, and fennel. You can fins it on the baby aisle
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Brauer homeopathic range. There's; stomach calm, colic relief, teething relief and even sleep & calm. I have used the first 3 and they WORK.

Warm baths every night helped my DD too and baby massage. Also swaddling with the miracle wrap. In it's design it gently presses on the tummy area and enables good sleep but also helps with getting rid of gas.

Tell you sis to change her diet and avoid; juices, dairy, brocolli and anything that gives her gas one at time to see if this helps baby. It's an elimination dies to see if the problem can be rectified with her.

GL
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• first thing that popped in my mind was GRIPE WATER......it works wonders...BUT my daugher didn't like it cold. you hve to keep it in the fridge so fill the dropper 20 mins in advance and let it come to room tepm b4 you give it....makes it a bit more plesent....I think you can mix it with apple juicce too.....don't quote me on that though for such a small baby
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Sometimes babies are sensitive to milk in the mother's diet. That could be a thought.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2009