church

i was wondering what "church" means to you--or what do you expect from your church/spiritual leaders there--i used to think a church would provide support, spiritual support--your pastors you could go to to understand scripture, help in spiritual growth, of if you were suffering from depression, or spiritual depression, they would be able to help you--support you, etc--i remember when churches used to help with an uplift, send cards, come to your house if you were sick, etc--guess i was wondering what your church is like (or your leaders, etc)--i just can't seem to find a "church" with leaders that are personable like that anymore--and that is something i want in a church--am i just having a "tainted" view of what a church, and their leaders should, or could be. what are your thoughts, and church/leaders like???? tired of being hurt and disappointed

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 10:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jehovah's Witnesses? Have you talked to them?
    Anonymous

• I feel that way about my church...it's Catholic. I wasn't always Catholic, I converted three years ago. Since then I've felt great there.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I trully feel you. I have been a leader in churches but I stepped down for personal reasons. But I had to learn that ,first of all leaders pastors and teachers are just people. The one to look to is Christ. I have been hurt the most by "church folk". in my life but the thing I learned is it is not aboout the people it is about God. Never give up on him. I would suggest a small church, they have the ability and resources to be more personal. A big church unfortunately you can just get lost, it is not on purpose but it can just happen. Enrich your walk with Christ by getting into his word and trusting him. Sad to say yes the church folk will let you down.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• What I expect from my church is a congregation that worships the same way I feel comfortable worshipping (which is how I choose my church) and teaches messages from the pulpit that I can actually learn. I also expect the Pastor to be there whenever someone needs him or has a question.

My church has all that. It also has Parish Nursing and health services, a neighborhood servies center, several branches of community service, nuturing and outreach programs, arts events and does work with a lot of charitable causes (many non-religious). We also have a community preschool, sunday schools, groups for different ages, activities and children's programs.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry you can't find something like you want where you are. Our little Church ( which growing by leaps and bounds with the new Priest) Is just like you described. He is there to talk to about things. heck he's even on line. Which is the best place to ask A question of him. As for welcoming. I belong to the Jubilee Society which welcomes new members and sends birthday cards to the older ones of our parish. We also put on a baby shower at least two times a year for the women's care center for women in crises pregnancy. I could go on even farther with all that happens here outside of Sundays. Again I'm sorry you are feeling the way you are. Maybe it's time for some church shopping. for there are Churches out there like you want and should be.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• thats everything out church does and why i love it so much. the ladies in the church go visit others ladies in the church once a month to see how they are doing. the men visit the family to see how thw family is doing. our church also have a thrift store and if you need clothes or furniture after the bishop meets with you and knows your needs you can go there and get them real cheap or free. we also have a food storage for when members in the church have lost their jobs or just a hand up when the household budget gets tough. we also provide social services that offers lots of programs like counseling for anything, porn, addiction,depression, family and marriage and adoption. when you get these services if you income is short you can get services for free. we also help with unemployment. they help with resumes employment and job interviewing. the kids have a program like boy scouts and the girls have their programs too con't
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• As for learning our priest every Wednesday has some kind of study where after we break up into little groups and discuss things.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• what i have figured out about churches (of all sizes) is this: to have a friend is to be a friend. what do i mean? if you want to be known, you have to make yourself known to others. get involved! churches are made up of people, you and me. does someone know instinctively that you are depressed or hurt or sick, if they don't know you exist? just because a person is the head of a church, or a teacher, or deacon, doesn't mean they know everyone in the congregation or about their lives. if there is a problem you need to talk about, go to someone. seek help/advice/friendship. if it seems, as usual, there are the same people in the limelight at church, look at them closer. they are the ones involved in several areas of the church. they are known.
    the same is true for any organization; churches aren't special in that respect. i've had people say to me, 'i didn't know you went here!'' when i'd been a (non-involved) member...
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• ..for over 4 years! i was shocked! i'd paid my tithes, i was a faithful 'attender'..just not 'known'..it was my own doing. i don't know how 'known' you've made yourself, but this could be a start.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• guess that is what i was looking for--i have struggled with personal issues (spiritual ones) and understanding scripture, bible, etc--have gone to my discipleship pastor, only to be blown off a few months ago (not sure why, i even emailed and tried to ask)--then this past summer has been full of more hurt, in my life--was in the hospital--called my "church"--was told they would help me, support, etc when i got out of hospital--and haven't heard a peep from anyone there--and even had the hospital call them to help give me ride home from the hospital--and they did not even want to do that or help with that--guess i thought an email, a something, of how are you doing, etc--a visit--(and this is not the first time all that happened)--my church was my only support and if you can't depend on them physically, who can you depend on.--i know "god" but i am talking physically.--thanks for your answers so far
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 11:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009