How soon after givin birth can you take a bath? (plain water or herbal)

I gave birth to my baby five days ago.

I am in a LOT of pain and really want to take a hot bath. With my first child I only bled for 2 weeks and I know I took baths before the 2 weeks was up because my doctor OKed it so my stiches wouldn't dry out but I don't remember if there was any requirements or precautions when doing it.

Is it OK to take a plain water bath or herbal bath after giving birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Take a sitz bath. You can find those at your local drug store. OMG they do wonders! I wouldn't actually get in the bathtub until you are actually done bleeding 'cause that's kind of nasty!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would call your doc just to make sure. and as far as the bleeding goes, you could always turn on the shower when you were done to wash up. This is my first, so haven't given birth yet, but I have done that a few times when I had horrendous menstrual cramps.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2009