Honestly what do you think about this?

I was at the grocery store picking up some things, and a woman further up in line was noticeably pregnant and was purchasing O'Dooles (sp? its the famous non-alcoholic beer). Everyone was quiet as she made her purchase, but as soon as she walked away a couple in front of me and the cashier exchanged rude words about her saying that "she is obviously an alcoholic if she's buying substitutes like that just to get the taste of beer". I found this extremely rude, and honestly very ignorant. As a pregnant woman myself, as well as a person who has studied alcohol and drug addiction, I find this perfectly normal and should-be accepting behavior for the pregnant woman. They make non-alcoholic beverages for a number of reasons, pregnancy being one of them. Also, a REAL alcoholic usually doesn't substitute, but rather just drinks no matter the consequences. What are your thoughts about this? What would you think if you saw this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'd probably have said something in her defense. Just last night I drank a non-alcoholic St. Pauli's Girl. I've never been a big drinker, and especially not a beer drinker. However, I'm 7 months pregnant and for some reason I've been craving a beer SO badly. Most doctors will allow you one drink every once in while, but I opted to go the non-alcoholic route anyways. Screw anyone who would say that I'm an alcoholic. I don't even like to get drunk when I'm not pregnant. I simply craved the taste for whatever reason. There are many ingredients in beer that are actually good for you, and they can still be there without the alcohol.

Also, for my husbands birthday I bought him a bottle of Bombay Sapphire at Walgreens. Ha! If someone had dared to open there mouth about me, they would have been in for a surprise and would have gotten a mouthful. People need to mind their own business and know the situation before they judge.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• wouldn't bother me at all. i bought wine, beer, tequila and numerous other things while pregnant. and none of them were for me, so my first assumption would be that it wasn't even for her in the first place.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well I don't see anything wrong with the woman buying non-alcoholic beer...whats the difference between that & the women (including me) who drink non-alcoholic margaritas or mocktails while pregnant?? People are just rude...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Sad that people are judging someone they don't know at all.
    Anonymous

• I would be glad that she wasn't buying REAL beer for herself. Maybe she was having a party or something and wanted something to drink that was similiar to alcohol but not? My fiance and I had a bonfire the other night and I made a huge pitcher of Kool-Aid for myself and drank it out of a fancy wineglass while everyone else had their cocktails. It was fun! People are rude and need to mind their own business. Ugh.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i had this happen to me once too, cept it was with cigarettes,,, i heard the people talking and confronted them.. lets just say they got a ear full from a very hot fat 9 month pregnant lady! its no ones business..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I could see saying something if she were actually drinking a real beer, but even purchasing alcohol there is no proof that it is for her consumption. I wouldn't buy o'dooles personally, but I am not a beer fan. I would however enjoy a mocktail if the occasion called for it. Sometimes it's nice to feel normal, even with something so small.

and I did have a friend who drank a glass of wine every day for her last 2 months of pregnancy with her son. She swore that there were no proven risks, but my question is, if there were no proven risks then why put the warning on the bottle? I guess time will tell...
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'd naturally assume it was for a SO or family member. Who cares if it was for herself? It was NON-alchoholic. Geez. I dislike people like that....jumping to conclusions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I bought liquor & beer when I was pregnant. I never drank any of it, but as I was home during the day while DH was working, it was easier for me to run to the store. Why do people have to be so judgmental? Buying does not mean drinking!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Talk about ignorance. Maybe she just likes beer, if it was even for herself. There's nothing wrong with that. If she was an alcoholic, she would have been buying real beer for herself, no matter the consequences. I agree, no difference between her drinking non alcoholic beer and me having a virgin margarita. But I've bought hard liquor while pregnant. I wonder what they would have thought of that, LOL. It was for my husband's birthday party. I didn't drink any of it, but it was much easier for me to pick it up than for him to do it.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2009