How much did/do you spend on disposable diapers?

I was just reading an article that says the average amount spent on disposable diapers per year is $2400! I think it's a bunch of bull, because I only spent $350 on diapers for during my daughter's first year of life.

Then again, the article was written by a "pro cloth diapering" mom, so I can see where the exaggeration comes from.

How much do/did YOU spend on disposable diapers in one year? Did you spend ANYWHERE near $2400????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• For my twins, we spent about $1000-$1200 a year on diapers, and that was using pampers swaddlers/cruisers in the huge boxes from BRU with lots of coupons. So, it would come to about $500-600/year for one child. That of course, is without wipes.

$2400 is a gross exageration, unless you are using 7th generation diapers and only buying them in small packages with no coupons, and changing the child excessively.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i dont think we spent that much... .but i didnt have to buy diapers for either boy for the first 3 -4 months... but this past year with both in diapers.. maybe about a $1000
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I didn't buy any newborn size at all because of what I was given at my shower...now I buy diapers in bulk from Sam's Club...and pay about $40 for 160 diapers. Pretty sure I won't get to $2400 by her first b-day.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No way- mu cheap hubby buys parents choice - if it where up to me - id buy huggies- my hubby is cheap.
    Anonymous

• I liked the walmart brand for my daughter (Parents Choice) They were less than $18 for a jumbo size box. It wasn't that much. Figure $40 a month. ($500 a year)
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Not even close, maybe they base that on changing their diaper every two hours everyday or something....
    Anonymous

• I've no idea. I've actually seen several un-biased articles on this topic and, unless the diapers are reused for another baby, they end up costing about as much as disposable ones. I've seen other studies done on the enviromental impact and that also came out as a wash - especially if a diaper service is used. If mom and dad wash out the diapers in a bucket and store them until there are enough for a full load, then home washing does end up having a lower impact on disposables.
    It's just one more example of "do what is right for your family and don't worry about what is right for mine."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• we use the parents choice brand as well....my daughter pees even a drop and wants to be changed. So Y spend more money for something thats only on her butt for an hour at the most during the day? She does wear them longer at night but will wake every 5 hours to be changed. We get them for 13.74 a box ( 100+ in a box) we send a bit more than the average $500, cuz she has to be changed so often
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• $50/wk on diapers? Even on diapers and wipes that seems a tad excessive. I don't know because I use cloth but used disposables on my oldest 3. I can recall buying diapers every 2 weeks and them being around $30-35...so on diapers alone that will still be under $1000.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Lets see-when my twins were born we bought Pampers or Huggies so it was $42 twice a month (2 boxes) then sometimes it was a 3rd box so between $42-$63 twice a month. For a total of $84 to 126. Then we switch to Luvs and now it is about $100 a month for them.

We also have a 6 month old who wears LUVs and it is about $90 a month for him.

Total montly diaper cost: $200
    Total yearly cost: $2400 for 3
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2009