What is the one thing you have ever eaten or made and eaten out of desperation?

I remember when we were younger my brother and I would make our own pizza which consisted of whear toast, ketchup and a pieces of monterey jack chees, if we were lucky we had ham to put on it. I wanna gag just remembering it but it was good back then. Another was if we wanted PB&J and had no bread we would get desperate and put it on a tortilla (we always had tortillas) lol, or hot dog buns.

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• when i lived with my mother and her bf, there was never any food, they spent their money on beer and crack. for over a wk i ate nothing but rocky road ice cream, there wasnt anything else. a 5 gallon bucket of it. i rarely eat ice cream now. they ate out everyday (fast food) and wouldnt bring me anything. rude! lol thats also when i perfected the art of making mac and cheese with no milk and very little water. oh, and when our son was first born we were flat ass broke from buying his formula, one night we were freakin starving, so he mixed up instant rice, a can of tuna, mayo, and some hot sauce (everything we had lol) and it was pretty good. now im pretty good at throwing stuff together and it coming out good. nothing like shit on a shingle. lol

dmarie2101

Answer by dmarie2101 at 4:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• beef and rice. we ate it all the time when we were in the field (army) but it fills you up and its cheap. rice stew meat and broth if youve got it
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I do the pbj thing all the time for my kids. They love it on everything.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I once mixed sardines with rice and it was gross but i was so hungry. Still wonder what a can of sardines was doing in my cabinets, I never buy sardines
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Buttered noodles with tomato soup because I had no sauce or money to get sauce. It isn't that bad.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I love PB&J on tortillas.. mmmmm

This isn't really a good one, but those nasty yokosuka (sp) noodles. I took them to work one day, ended up eating out of the vending machine instead. Gross.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I took a cup o' noodles to work once and didn't let it sit long enough and I just ate them like that all hard and rubbery! I was hungry and only had 5 minutes to eat.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• We eat pb&J on tortillas here too. If you want something a little more filling put the pb&j on the tortilla then peel a banana and put it in and roll it up. It used to be a quick breakfast for me to eat on the way to the bus stop in the mornings.

When I was a kid we would eat top ramen right out of the package. Sometimes we would add the seasoning and sometimes we wouldn't.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I haven't had to do anything like that. Thank God. When we were younger, my older sis and I were eating ketchup out of the cabinet b/c there was nothing. When I lived w/ just my "monster", we never really had anything. Sometimes she would make spaghetti with italian dressing. It is actually pretty good.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• In college, I was so broke for a while that I lived off of Quaker oatmeal for every meal for WEEKS...not the instant-packets, but the kind in the cardboard cylinder. It was so boring and tasteless, I'd flavor it with anything I could get my hands on, mostly what I could get from the student union or local fast food places (jelly packets, hot sauce, syrup, ketchup...you name it, I tried it!)
    In the Army, MRE's...just the thought of those weird, chemical-tasting meals still make my stomach turn (but if you could get one with the cocoa packet, you were good). Makes me say an EXTRA prayer at night for our brave men & women in the military...
    kamsmw

Answer by kamsmw at 12:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2009