Is a one year old too young to go see fireworks??

I was thinking about taking my one year old to see fireworks this weekend, but I was going to go to my Dad's house because most of my family will be there and he live VERY close to where the fireworks are set off. I have watched them ther in the past and I know it is very loud. Has anyone ever taken a young child to a firework show and sat close? If so...how did they react and does anyone know if it can damage their ears at all? Thanks!

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 12:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• In my experience, the loud noises are scary. You could try getting some of those ear muff things (like what hunters use) but may have a hard time keeping them on. I know my 19 month old is petrified....even of just the fountains that make no noise. I'll be hiding out in the house with her while everyone else enjoys the show.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yeah they don't really like the loud noise, but what I did was right before the fireworks were set of I would start talking to him and explaine to him what's going to happend and when the fireworks were about to go off I would raise my voice and make noises to distract him and he seemed to be fine with it
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think you know your kid best. Do you think they would enjoy it? I took both my kids at 9 and 10 months and to be honest, they fell asleep. I knew it wouldn't bother them because nothing really did. I would put something over there ears if your going to be pretty close. Where we were we could feel the fireworks and had to look almost straight up to see them. Everyone thought it was hilarious that they slept through 80% of the show.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• We are bring my son... almost 1 this year. I have no idea how he will act. If he is scared we will just leave... but I think he might really enjoy them. He's never been scared of anything else before... although he's never seen anything like a firework before... he doesn't tend to be frightened easily. We'll see what happens.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• When my son was that age he didn't seem to phased by it untill about the age of two. It was all tears and downhill from there. It depends on the child. I think that when they are around the age of two or three the loud noises from fireworks can be pretty daunting to their imaginative brains. See how they react and then you'll know...Maybe you could try earplugs of some sort?
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I just covered my daughter ears wile I held her, and she never minded. She went at 4 months, and 16 months to a huge professional show. I say, go and she how he reacts cover his ears at first untill you know how he will act. and #1 be prepared to go inside or LEAVE if he is super scared. I am always prepared to pack up and leave if we are doing something new and I dont know how the kids will react.
    loriloriaustin

Answer by loriloriaustin at 1:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I hope not we are planning on taking our 10 month old I can only hope he wont freak out, really though I think he'll really enjoy it
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My son was 11 months old his first 4th of July. He stood in my lap bouncing up and down all excited. He has went last year before he turned 2 and loved them then too, actually fell asleep watching them. This year we won't get to see fireworks because we live in Alaska and the sun doesn't set.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 2:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think it's fine as long as your not too close, I think a one year old would enjoy all the fun colors. The ear muffs are a great idea.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 2:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Last year my DS was a little over 13 months for the 4th and he was tired and fell asleep on me. :) He didn't really care. My DD, though, was 3 and she LOVED them.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2009