how to keep a 1 month old calm during a diaper change?

My daughter is a month old, and i was wondering if any one had tips to keeping her calm during a diaper change. She absolutley hates diaper changes, and she tries everything to get outta them. I need some help to get through them without having to fight her. Thank You.

KaeliM

Asked by KaeliM at 12:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son loves to be sung to. During diaper changes I will sing him his favorite song, and watch his face light up.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• talk to her, sing, paci
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• well for starters, be glad she's only one month old 'cause it'll only get worse lol BUT they all get used to it one way or another. my son was easy, my daughter was ok at first, but the older she got the more she hated it. worst time was probably when she was about 7 months old. the key is DISTRACTION!!! before i'd change her diaper, i'd always get at least five different objects of interest to her, and i'd hand them to her one after another lol and another important trick is to be QUICK lol i know with a newborn you have to be very very careful but i'm asuming she's probably "just" crying right? she'll get over it, just keep your calm, change her and then pick her up and cuddle with her to soothe her. she'll understand soon enough that changing her diaper isn't the end of the world :o)
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 1:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I agree, distraction is the key. We had special "changing time only" toys. They didn't get to see them any other time, so they were pretty entertained.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• She is one month. Why does she need to be kept calm? I mean it is a quick whip off the diaper, wipe, put one on. Am I missing something here? Even if she screams just talk to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Distraction was and still is the key for my daughter. She used to scream so loud, I thought the neighbors might call the cops. I used a pacifier to help calm her. Now that she's over pacifiers, I give her a teething ring. She also likes to suck on and play with tags on her stuffed toys, so I give her one to play with during diaper changes. I keep a supply of toys at the changing station for her, that way if she throws one, I just give her another. I've also attached a toy that she can suck on/play with to the changing table.
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 1:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• one MONTH old? they usually don't heave the strength to give someone fits. Maybe something's hurting her. Does she have gas or problems eating? I'd tell the dr. She shouldn't be doing that but if she won't stop just let her hear the sound of your voice. Just talk to her. All of this outside the womb is new to her and she may not like it yet! Make sure she's not laying in front of a fan or A/C vent. Are your baby wipes cold? If so, the shock might be upsetting her. Warm them with a warmer or with your hands. I'd be talking to my pediatrician if it continues bc something isn't right when a one month old does that. She could be allergic to something or something else that she can't tell you about that a dr might see or feel.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My DS has always hated diaper changes. He alway cried/ screamed during them dispite talking to him trying to distract him. It will get easier before it gets harder, lol. Now that he is older we use distraction in the form of a tube of Destin (we don't use it on him as it does nothing for him). He will sit still as long as he has that...before that we had a Winne the Pooh bean bag toy that kept him busy. Just try to find thing to distract her..talk to her, have someone else distract her while you change her. put toys with colors/sounds above her head.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 10:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• In the words of my mother, "As they get older and you have to change their diaper, that is when you learn how to wrestle an alligator." My DS is almost 3 months and he stretches his legs out to where I can't bend them, and it's always when I try to put the front of the diaper up. Then when I pull up the front part to be even with the back, he lifts his butt up and the diaper slides out from under him real fast. As I try to put it back, his rump goes back down. Since he's still in my room and his changing table is in the nursery down the hall, I use my bed to change his diaper. He recently learned how to roll onto his sides, and has been using that against me when I try to change his diaper. It's the whole front of the diaper thing like mentioned before, but as I try to take off the old one or fasten the new one he rolls to his side, making it pretty impossible. He loves diaper changes though. Good luck!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009