Calling all catholics!

What do you believe and why? Who is the pope to you? Why do you pray to Mary? What do you beleive of Heaven/Hell? How do you pray? I mean any info, I'm curiouse. Also why the prayer neckleace?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 1:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What do you believe and why?

I believe in the dogmas of the Catholic Church.  I was raised Catholic, but strayed as a young adult and looked at many other relgions.  I have a strong believe in Jesus Christ and when I read the Bible and looked at early church history it was quite clear to me that Jesus established a visible church to guide people.   And everything indicates that church is the Catholic Church.  I think the idea of "scriture alone" is biblically, historically, practically, and theologically incorrect.  I do believe that we're saved by grace alone (just not faith alone).  I think a relationship with Jesus includes a relationship with all those he loves - including the saints here on earth as well as in heaven.  And I believe what is outlined in the Nicean creed.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The prayer necklace, aka the rosary, is mostly used to invoke the blessed Mother, Mary, Mother of Jesus, because she is able to provide help and salvation to those in need. The rosary helps the prayer remember how many times the hail Mary was said, and such..a place keeper like a bookmark.
    Other questions are answered well on this website I found http://www.gotquestions.org/
    Copy n paste to browser
    The pope helps make Catholic Laws and enforces the laws of he Bible. He used to get alot more power, until people broke away from the Catholic Church, such as King Alexander, I believe, maybe it was Luther, I can't remember who was first. Most Catholics pray with sincerity and gratitude, on their knees in servitude to God..a form of worship no matter what religion or god u believe in. Catholics believe in the holy Sacrement, recieving the body and blood of Christ, because Christ died on the cross to absolve us of all our sins
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• gotquestions.org is a catholic site?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The rosary is a meditation on the mysteries on the life of Christ. Each day we meditate on five different mysteries. this shows them all. http://www.medjugorje.org/rosary.htm. We ask Mary to pray for us, But we go directlyto God first, because only he can answer our prayers. He can't change anything that Christ taught us. He keeps these teachings. This the only time he is infallible. Because of this our teachings have not changed in over 2000 years. Yes we believe in heaven heaven and hell, But we also believe in Gods infinite mercy and pray that all will be in heaven in the end. That all will know the love of God. Even those through no fault of their own because of false teachings will be there.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• such as King Alexander, I believe, maybe it was Luther, I can't remember who was first.

I believe King Henry VIII was first... the pope refused to grant him a divorce from Queen Katherine so he could marry Anne Boleyn, so he basically told the Pope off and started the church of England instead. Luther was also around during Henry's reign but I don't know much about him, except that he was considered a heretic. A lot of people broke away during Queen Elizabeth's reign as well, since she was protestant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Time out...MARY provides salvation now? Are you sure?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• salvation doesn't necessarily mean salvation of the soul, but help, saving. we all need to be saved all the time, you're using the christian termonology.
    bellamomma328

Answer by bellamomma328 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• If you don't believe it then back off, do we bash you for worshiping the big cow?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• gotquestions.org is a catholic site?

Not even close - it's closer to an anti-Catholic website that misrepresent Catholic teachings.  They even claim Catholics are not Christians.  A couple of websites that are helpful are "Catholic Bridge" which is an introduction to the Catholic faith for Evangelicals and the Catholic Answers websites.  "Catholicism for Dummies" also provides a pretty easy to understand overview of the Catholic faith.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Who is the pope to you?

The pope is the successor of Peter. Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom and the ability to bind and loosen. Peter is the rock upon which Jesus built His church. So Peter was the first 'pope' (aka leader of the Church Jesus established).  I understand and respect the office of the papacy that Jesus gave and that is protected by the Holy Spirit.  I understand individual popes are human beings who are just as sinful as everyone else and just being pope doesn't make one more holy than anyone else.  See this article about pope for more information.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2009