Need help... three year old daughter cut her own hair~

... and now it looks like she has a mullet. Right above the sideburns, super short. I am super tight on cash and just wanted her hair to grow. Does anyone have any suggestions for a haircut? Her hair is fairly fine and only has a slight wave to it. Thanks a million

McErin48

Asked by McErin48 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OMG? Really put the scissors where they can't be reached? Wow...never thought of that one. Except in my house, that means in a safe since my children climb EVERYTHING and nothing is sacred!

To answer your question, I've been down this road more times than I care to admit to. I say just even it up a little and let it grow. When it gets a little longer, you can have the sides shaped to where they "frame the face". It's just going to be something you have to continually work with. It seems every time my DD's hair gets JUST where it looks normal again...she gets into the scissors. Sometimes I take her to a cheap hair shop (like $10 hair cut) and have them even it up. Sometimes I even it up myself and sometimes I just let her look like a fool and remind her how pretty her hair would be if she didn't cut it. We joke that she's going to be a stylist when she grows up.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my firt suggestion would be... PUT YOUR SIZZORS SOMEWHERE WHERE SHE CAN'T REACH THEM!!! and that's more for the sake of your kid than your wallet!!!!!
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 1:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes thank you so much for commenting on my parenting skills. Perhaps I should have mentioned she did this at her father's house. So nice of you to assume I'm a terrible parent though, thanks a lot!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My 4 year old niece just did this a few weeks ago. Luckily my sis was able to give her a cute little bob. You may have to cut the rest of her hair fairly short to blend it in. Do you have a hair school where you live? They will cut it cheap, and while the students do actually cut it, they generally consult with an instructor before doing anything and the instructor checks it afterward. I've taken my kids to one and they've done a good job, and like I said it's pretty cheap, $7 here.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• ok sorry, she did it at her fathers house. well then tell him to be more careful. no need to feel all hurt, but i'm sorry, next time she might cut herself, ever thought about that

. Really put the scissors where they can't be reached? Wow...never thought of that one. Except in my house, that means in a safe since my children climb EVERYTHING and nothing is sacred!
    <--- kind of a cheap excuse if you ask me. if i don't want my kids to get into surten things, i child proof them. of course they can get around that, trust me, my daughter is only 17mths old and she manages to still open cabinets that are on the lower level BUT have one of those lock thingys on them. NONETHELESS it's YOUR job as a parent to keep your child safe, so either put sizzors away where they can't get to them, and there is always a spot in your house where they can't get to them, OR watch them 24/7 the last option DON'T BIATCH LATER WHEN THEY GET HUR
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 1:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Gosh, I guess it depends on how bad it is. I would bring her somewhere and ask how much it would cost to fix it (they might even do it for free if they feel bad for her)
    I think if it's REALLY bad I would go with a cute short haircut and have them blend it in... and then use cute hair clips to girly it up
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• trisandkksmom, it's great that your daughter hasn't gotten into something that she wasn't supposed to have, but eventually she will. I'm not trying to be mean, but someday you will be distracted and forget to put something up or she will amaze you by being able to climb where you never thought she could. It will happen, I have 3 kids; 11, 6 and 3. I have learned that no mom is perfect, and kids can get places you would never believe. And when your kid has cut her hair or the dogs hair or your favorite book or whatever she gets her hands on you will want understanding and help from moms who've been there, not a lecture about putting things out of reach. And it's fine that you mentioned putting the scissors up, but it's all about tone, a gentle reminder rather than yelling would have made a much better impact on the op and the rest of us and made her more willing to listen.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2009