I might have taken this too personally but....

I was at my parenting classes today and I recently have a job at Wal-mart. I am going to school this summer and they dont allow you to change your availability for at least 6 months plus they're moving far from where I live and I'm debating on if I should continue to look for work. I told them I am casually job searching, meaning I am putting my name out there in hopes to eventually hear something. It is one of those things where I am not desparate but it can't hurt to try kind of things. So I told this lady I will give it a shot and if I hear from a place that has better pay/hours/distance good, if I don't I'll go ahead and stay where I am at. The bottom line is that I felt like she said something discouraging. She said "beggers cant be choosers." I am perfectly aware of this crappy economic situation which is why I'm trying but not keeping my hopes up. It made me feel like me trying isn't worth the effort. Maybe it's me.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She's just a sour fuddy-duddy. Put her out of your mind.

Speaking of Walmart, my husband and I shopped at Walmart on Wednesday and then headed on over to the grocery store to do our food shopping.
    When we got out of the car there was a lady with 2 little ones (a toddler and an infant) in a shopping cart and she was screaming at the toddler because he wouldn't move fast enough for her or do exactly what she wanted him to do. I looked at her and she was wearing a Walmart employee tag around her neck. I walked slowly to be sure she didn't hurt her son in anger (she may have had terrible customers at work that day to put her in such a bad mood) and all was fine.
    I know it must be so very hard to wait on rotten customers all day and then have to go home to be a loving mom without letting off the anger & frustration of the job in between.
    Just thought I'd throw that in - no reason really - it was on my mind.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• maybe making u feel that way was her intention
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I know jobs are hard to find(which is why I'm staying until something better comes along if it does) but what she said was downright discouraging. It's not like it's me personally but what she said came off that way. I'm glad you didn't think I was taking it too personally.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I can understand why you feel that way. I think that was a really rude thing for her to say. Just ignore people like that...you're smart to be looking for ways to better your job situation and income.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yeah ,but no one has a right to say "Beggars can't be choosers", I would get very hurt by this comment.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You're being oversensitive. I doubt she was calling you a "beggar"; she was simply remarking on the shabby state of the economy. Move on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2009