A national health care plan or a national health care scam?

This is what Obama said in November, 2007: The Illinois senator claims his health care plan would bring costs down more than any of his opponents' plans. His plan would create a national health insurance program for those who do not have employer-provided health care and who do not qualify for other existing federal programs. It does not mandate individual coverage for all Americans, but requires coverage for all children. "Cost is the number one reason that 47 million Americans do not have health insurance," he said Saturday. "This is wrong, and it's why my plan does more to cut the cost of health care than any other proposal in this race." Obama said it would save the "typical family" $2,500 a year in health care premiums. "

Now this is what is being reported: Americans who refuse to buy affordable medical coverage could be hit with fines of more than $1,000 under a health care (continued)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• overhaul bill unveiled Thursday by key Senate Democrats looking to fulfill President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

The Congressional Budget Office estimated the fines will raise around $36 billion over 10 years. Senate aides said the penalties would be modeled on the approach taken by Massachusetts, which now imposes a fine of about $1,000 a year on individuals who refuse to get coverage. Under the federal legislation, families would pay higher penalties than individuals. In a revamped health care system envisioned by lawmakers, people would be required to carry health insurance just like motorists must get auto coverage now. The government would provide subsidies for the poor and many middle-class families, but those who still refuse to sign up would face penalties. Called "shared responsibility payments," the fines would be set at least at half the cost of basic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• medical coverage, according to the legislation. The goal is to nudge people to sign up for coverage when they are healthy, not wait until they get sick.

In 2008, employer-provided coverage averaged $12,680 a year for a family plan, and $4,704 for individual coverage, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation's annual survey.

The legislation would exempt certain hardship cases from fines. The fines would be collected through the income tax system.

Supposedly there will be a federal plan that would provide lower premiums, but there are yet no specifics. insurance companies to sell coverage to any applicant, without charging higher premiums for pre-existing medical conditions. The poor and some middle-class families would qualify for government subsidies to help with the cost of coverage. The government's costs would be covered by a combination of higher taxes and cuts in projected Medicare and Medicaid spending.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Doesn't sound to me like a National Health Care Plan, especially when the only thing planned is to fine people who can't afford insurance. How are the people supposed to be able to afford this. The Gov. isn't really providing anything, everyone is still going to have to pay for it so it's definitely not a free plan, unless you qualify for Medicaid or Medicare. It looks to me like there is a big difference between what Obama was talking about when campaigning and now. I remember him saying something about the average that families pay for healthcare was 7,500.00 a year and I had to laugh then, now I see where the average is over $12,000 a year! I know for me and my husband there is no way we can afford one penny to be taken out of his check towards the employer offered health care. We wouldn't have the money for rent, utilities, food, car insurance. We don't have anything left and for only two of us, we can't get PA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Well for all those people who were wringing their hands in anticipation of a Gov. freebie health care plan--guess again. Looks like everyone is going to end up paying something for coverage or get fined and I doubt if any plan is going to be cheap. The big issue is (I agree) how are people supposed to be able to afford health insurance at any cost when so many people are being forced to take minimum wage paying jobs just to be able to work. Even if you are lucky enough to work full time at minimum wage, the premium out of each paycheck has got to be at least 100.00 for a family. That means 400.00 a month. I doubt that leaves much for basic necessities. The best things in life are free, only if you are Mr. and Mrs. Obama and family, qualify for Medicaid or Medicare OR if you are a member of Congress.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You are right - it IS important to read the health care plans that are being proposed. From what I read of women's responses here, many are confusing the wish to have everyone HAVE health care with supporting this particular proposal. Sure, we want people taken care of. But not by being herded into pens and fenced about with regulations, taxes and red tape !!

It looks like there are two main attitudes:
    1) let people keep their money and make the country prosperous by being allowed to prosper for themselves and their children; pull the federal gov't back into line with the limited business defined in the Constitution, and let states and communities keep their tax money and the decisions local (then the educational system could recover, especially if vouchers are adopted)

or 2) view people as too dumb to decide what their families need, and be an "elite" who dictates gov't "for the common good" .... this is where we are now.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• What Obama Doesn't TELL Americans about those 47 million Americans (because it would lessen the impact of his agenda):

*Over 17.5 million;38 % of the uninsured make more than $50,000 a year. And 9.1 million have an annual income of over $75,000 a year.

*Nearly 10 million uninsured aren't even U.S. citizens!

*Another 14 million of the uninsured are fully eligible for government assistance through programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP.

*70 percent of uninsured children are eligible for Medicaid, SCHIP, or both programs. And roughly 27 percent of non-elderly Americans who are eligible for Medicaid haven’t enrolled and simply live their lives without health insurance, according to the Urban Institute.

http://www.urban.org/expert.cfm?ID=LenNichols&page=2 http://www.businessword.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/2303/ http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/hlthins/hlthins.html

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Scam.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Won't likely pass. Some dems have a bit of sense and realize that this will collapse the economy and they know its losing favor with the American people
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Um I"m uninsured and I have tried to get medicade but at $9 an hour i make too much money. There are no other health insurance programs in the state of SC. I am suppossed to be taking advair and abluteral but haven't in about two years. I just went to the doc for sinus infection and incured another $200 bill. So while yall dumb asses think people are not choosing healthcare to save money think again. I have a series of illnesses that I can't even get treated and you know what my health care would cost me a month. the cheapest one is $450 a month. the cheapest prescribed nasal spray is $60 I am a single parent barely making it. people aren't choosing not to have health insurance they literally can't afford it if their jobs do not provide it. Do any of you ladies work or are you stay at home moms that just don't know how much healthcare really costs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• anon :20, nobody said that all uninsured people are choosing to be uninsured, but it would be hard to argue that all uninsured people didn't choose to be uninsured.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2009