does it make me a bad mom bc my son goes to bed at mid night?

. wakes up at 9 thirtyam ... then takes his nap after books and the park around four thiry wake up at six thirty .. we play on the patio.. then dinner at like 8... bath at nine.. play with daddy when he gets home from work around ten... then eleven sesame street.. mid night go to bed.. im okay with it.. it works for our family.. but i do admit .. that i feel guilty bc its not the normal agenda of a toddler..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• If that is your schedule right now and it works than great but when he gets to school age than you might want to rethink your scheduledue to school starts at most of the time 8am! And no that don't make you a bad mom at least yo do have a bed time for him I know some one who lets their young kids stay up all night and sleep all day, now that is not very good!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 3:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• whatever works for you and your family is normal it don't make you a bad mother you just run on a diferent schedule
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• hmm... sounds like my schedule except dd gets up at 7-9 am. She doesn't really take a nap and it works for us! I don't think it makes you a bad mother!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My first daughter used to go to bed at, like, 1 or 2am when she was a baby - because I didn't have a regular bedtime. I didn't know how to get her to sleep and the possibility of a schedule seemed like a fools dream (hey, I was 19! :)). Finally I was like "I gotta go to sleep!" and started putting her to bed at about 10pm. She'd wake up at 9am or so, take a nap from 2-4 and then be sleepy at bedtime.
    But no, I don't think you're bad - everyone is different. It's sad that we, as mothers, feel like we have to be 'as good' as every other mother and if we're not at that level (who is, really?) than we feel guilty for it. Other mothers have traits and stuff that I admire because I'm not like that. I'm sure that I have traits other mothers like but don't do bc they aren't like that. And we all feel guilty. :-D I wouldn't ever say a bedtime classifies someone has a bad mother. :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No because it works for your family. He gets to see his daddy, which is important, even though he comes home really late.

I do agree, though, once he gets to school age, you'll have to change it, but maybe your circumstances will be different by then.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No! Many people would put their kids to bed early regardless because it's "normal." I think it's great you've adjusted your schedule to include daddy time!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't say you are a bad mother, but I would begin to try and get him to start going to bed a little bit sooner....maybe start with a half hour sooner, then another half hour. Eventually your little one will be in school and need to get up sooner and NEED more sleep than that, plus eventually they stop taking naps, my son stpped all naps and about 3 years.

And well....as a parent I look forward to when my son is asleep, I NEED some time to myself and with my husband without a 5 year old up our butt. My son is 5 and his bedtime is 8:30, if he stays up late it may be 9 or 9:30 but never past that!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You know your situation better then anyone, as long as he gets the Dr. recomended hours of sleep for his age at night, i'ed say it's ok. This might be something you would consider transitioning close to school time tho.
    BettyBoo108

Answer by BettyBoo108 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• you shouldn't feel guilty at all, and You shouldn't conform to societies agenda of what "normal" is, This works for you and your family so just keep doing what's best for you. My son is 18 months and he goes to bed late also, about 11:30, or midnight, sometimes later... I just can't imagine forcing him to go to sleep when he's not tired, that is just a door of an unnecessary stress that I have no intention of opening, I always say around ten or 10:30, " are you sleepy, do you want to go sleepy" and if he says yes, we go to bed, if he says not, I don't make him... like I said you just have to do what's best for you and your family.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It doesn't make you a bad mom, but I would make an effort to get your child to bed a lot earlier than midnight. Children at that age need their sleep. And you have the advantage: they can't tell time! Put him to bed no later than 8pm. He can play with his daddy in the morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2009