Is this Mean?

My 6yo DD asked my husband if she could watch a 'scary' movie on the Disney channel (I know, it probably wasn't THAT scary) and he said she could. (sidenote: She knows how to work the remote, she HAD the remote at the time). Well, she watches the whole movie - my husband is sitting RIGHT THERE. She never says ONE word to him. She finishes the movie and he tells her to go get ready for bed. She immediately starts crying, saying the movie scared her. (It was "Haunted Mansion"). I told her I was sorry she was scared but she still had to go to bed, that if she was scared, she could have changed the channel, she could have told her dad. She wasn't just left there, forced to watch this movie. I told her sorry and I was but that she can't sleep with us just because she scared. She keeps getting out of bed. I send her back. Is that mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think it's mean at all. You are strong for being able to send her off to bed and yes...it's time they have to take responsiblity. She will know better next time.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 10:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I'd have done the same thing. I'm often accused of being mean when I make my kids take responsibility for their actions so I'm figuring we'll both get told we're mean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't think it's mean, but I would have also had my husband keep putting her back to bed since he let her watch it, lol.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't think that you are being mean at all. I would have done exactly that, in fact I have done that. My daughter 6 going on 7, likes to watch history and war stuff she begged for days to watch the Movie 300, I didn't want her to but my dh who loves that stuff too told me to let her he would watch it with her. She loved it and had no problems, but wanted to sleep with me after watching that new movie with Edward about the vampires......
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2009