• In the Spotlight:

Now that same-sex couples can be married legally...do you expect their Divorce Rate to be higher or lower than different-sex marriages?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not sure why so many take offense to that if you are still married then clearly no one was talking about you.

Because some people aren't happy unless they're being offended.

And I suspect as each state legalizes, it will be a little higher for the first few years then even out to normal. Reason being - for every long term committed relationship that's been waiting to marry, there will be another dating 6 week couple who gets swept up in the excitement of it finally being legal and get married Brittney style.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Divorce rates are higher these days it doesn't matter if your are gay or no-gay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I'd guess about the same
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't think it will change the overall %.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• If two people marry for the RIGHT reasons, they will remain married.

If they marry out of lust, convenience, rebellion, financial security, because they "have" to, before the age of 28 (women) or 30 (men), because they've been together for "so long," etc., the chances they will stay in a HAPPY, STABLE, and HEALTHY relationship for the rest of their lives (these days) is highly unlikely!

Too many people are too young, too immature, too superficial, and get caught up in the concept of marriage, but don't really have the skills or resolve to make it through the tough times--and there will be many!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Now that same-sex couples can be married legally
    --------------------------------------

Wow, have I been in a coma? When did this happen? All I've heard on TV lately is the state of MJ's will and battles over who gets to take care of his kid and gets the .52cents he had in a sock tucked away underneath is pillow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I feel that it won't change anything.

What is the argument? That because they have to fight harder for their cause that they are more likely to weather the storm? In all reality, people work hard to solve a problem, but if too much focus is given to other things than the relationship then the foundation of the relationship is weakened. Not many people get into a marriage already thinking of a way out of said marriage. If they did, then why bother at all?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• To the anon person who posted at 7:56, I am 20. I have been married 8 months to a wonderful man and my best friend and we have a great marriage. I was never going to wait until I was 28 to get married. And not all same sex couples can get married, but I think the majority who can and have, have been in a committed relationship for a long time and being married would just make their lives easier. Why does everyone think that just because people are gay their marriage or relationships are so different from that of straight people?
    ArmyWife9-2-08

Answer by ArmyWife9-2-08 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Wow. How long have I been asleep? Did I miss the total moral collapse of our society? When did it become "legal?" Except in the states that have it? I haven't heard anything about it being legal everywhere,and I really think the gays would be dancing in the streets if it was. And, to answer the question, since it's not a true marriage, recognized by God, I seriously doubt a "divorce" will make much difference. They just break up, that's it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The divorce rate will probably be about the same.

Gay people aren't more prone to, or are exempt from, marital strife.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2009