• In the Spotlight:

My Niece needs some soft (tonsils just out) kids recipes. Apparently they are tired of ice cream?

Nana1108

Asked by Nana1108 at 7:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• When I had my tonsils out (at 16) I ate jello, oatmeal/grits, gerber's fruit is good no matter what your age and the fact that it is pureed helps it go down easily, soup, ice pops, I hope there are some ideas here for you. Good Luck, and tell your niece, I was sick 7 times a year with my tonsils until they took them out. I haven't been sick in 24 years and it's WONDERFUL!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yogurt (the real kind, with live cultures and without gelatin and HFCS)
    smoothies: frozen blueberries, frozen banana, kale (lots of iron and calcium), orange juice (vitamin C to increase the absorbtion of the iron), yogurt.
    Avocado Pudding
    2 avocado's peeled and pit removed
    1 tablespoon Coco Powder
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    1/4 cup maple Syrup
    2 dates soaked (op)
    blend in blender till smooth
    Chocolate Tofu Pudding
    6 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
    1 Tbs. vegetable oil
    12 oz. soft tofu, well drained
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    1/4 cup vanilla or plain soymilk
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 Tbs. tahini
    1/2 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced, or whole raspberries
    Directions
    Heat chocolate and oil in top of double boiler set over barely simmering water. Whisk until smooth. Remove pan from water, and let cool 20 to 30 minutes. <

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Meanwhile, cut tofu into thick slabs, and place on triple layer of paper towels. Press firmly on tofu to squeeze out as much water as possible; change paper towels if necessary.
    Put maple syrup, soymilk, lemon juice, vanilla extract and tahini into food processor. Crumble tofu into mixture, and purée until smooth, scraping down sides with spatula as necessary. Add melted chocolate, and process until well blended.
    Transfer pudding into 6 custard cups or small bowls. Cover each with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours, or until softly set. To serve, top with berries.
    BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST RICE PUDDING
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 cups milk (plant or animal)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup eggs or egg substitute
    2 teaspoons lemon zest (i leave this out)
    1-1/2 cups brown rice -- cooked
    2 cups blueberries (frozen is fine)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Combine sugar, milk and salt in a medium pot over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer.

2. Place egg or substitute in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of milk mixture to eggs; beat to warm up egg mixture. Add egg mixture to pot with remaining milk mixture; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is consistency of pancake batter, about 7 to 8 minutes.

3. Stir in zest and rice; cook over low heat to warm, about 5 minutes. Remove form heat and divide among 4 bowls; top each with 1/2 cup blueberries.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• jello, pudding, yogurt, smoothies. Like Kustomrocket I was sick and missed most of 3rd grade due to my tonsels and since having them out in 30 plus years I have never had strep or a severe sore throat.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I thought you weren't supposed to baby them and let them eat soft foods and stuff. When I had my tonsils out the doctor told me to eat things like dry toast, pizza, and potato chips to help break up the scar tissue. I didn't and I got really sick and had to go to the emergency room because I had blood clots and was bleeding. I lost a lot of blood and was hospitalized for a long time. Even after I was out of the hospital I was really sick and had to take iron because my iron was way too low. I was only like 6 when all this happened and it is one of the earliest memories I have. Not saying you guys are wrong or anything just curious if they have changed the way they do things.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• mashed potatoes and soft mac and cheese like the frozen stoufers thats what I always eat when
    I am not feeling well... also tomato soup or cream of potato from campbells anything brothy, like chicken noodle o,s etc.
    karenwarshaw

Answer by karenwarshaw at 6:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009