NEED HELP FAST.

I am upset and need some advice.. my son hangs out with a kids his age who is ten... his grandmother allows him to have movies that re not suitable for their age.. 18plus movies..scary ones and I told the grandmother I didn twant the kids seeing them she said ok.. then I found out from my son he was watching that scar movie at her house it shows this women has no morals at all.ut my son has fun playing with this boy.. I was going to speak to ther grandmother and tell her how I feel.. and ground my son from playing with this boy to teach them both a leason to not lie.. the boy said tome we wont watch it and they did.. so I feel I cant trust this boy anymore.. I have taken this kid out to the park, but now I wonder if this grandmother even watching what the kids are doing when theirr over there? and if she is I guess she doesnt care? which is me is very sad.. need help fast.. Trish

rose1239

Asked by rose1239 at 7:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ugh, I have the same situation with my son and his friend. The friend's parents like my son coming to their house because it keeps their son out of their hair. (That's what they told me. ) Because their son has zero discipline and no boundaries, my son picked up the bad behavior. They play video games all day unsupervised. Their son actually attacked my son this past weekend and scratched up his whole face. When I confront them, they say boys are boys and shrug. So I reduced their play time to one day a week. That's it. My suggestion is have that boy at your house so YOU can supervise them. But beware, that boy may not be as disciplined as your son. My son's friend is a nightmare to watch so I actually don't want him in my house.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 3:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would base my decision on my son's maturity level and the movie he is watching. My son has been watching R movies since he was about 10, it's hard to find Steven Segal, Chuck Norris, etc that are g rated, however, my son knew the difference between right and wrong and he knew it was just a movie. Kids love to be scared, I can remember watching Cujo at the theater with my Grandma when I was about 12, talk to the Grandma, but find out what kind of movie it is before you get upset.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It doesnt matter what kind of movie it was. She said it was scary and rated R and asked the grandmother to respect her wishes. Thats all that matters. The grandmother isnt supervising your son as you and her agreed upon and that means he doesnt need to be going over there anymore. Our rule is this....Friends come to OUR home. I am the supervision, I do fun things with them, I take them places, feed them, ect. I make that sacrifice for a reason. I want to be the influence when it comes to my kids. If my children want to go to a friends home, that fine, but I must first meet the other parent and lay down the rules. If my rules are broken, then my child isnt allowed to attend their home anymore. Sometimes its not the negligence of the parent at all, but the children. My dd got into serious trouble at a friends home because of her own choices, not because the mom wasnt watching them. They could be doing this without her knowledge.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Just because the grandmother lets the child watch these movies, doesn't mean she isn't moral. Think before you speak. Am I immoral because I let my son watch PG or R movies and he is only 13? And I have since he was younger. I don't judge the movie on just the rating, I judge it on the material and the maturity of the child. If a child knows the difference between right and wrong, real and fantasy they can watch a lot more movies that most other kids. If you don't like what is going on in that house, KEEP YOUR KID AWAY. Have his friend at your house instead. WOW, what a simple solution.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• This happens to us occasionally because my ds has many different friends. I encourage him to hang out with the ones who I trust. Once he saw, what I think was, an inapropriate movie and he told me so we discussed this and , well, its all part of going out in the wild world I guess. I don't feel I can set rules for the homes of others but I can prevent him from going if I really object to their standards.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't let your son play over there anymore. Let the kid come over and play with your son, but if Grannny is going to be that damn disrespectful, hell no! Confront her!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2009