What can I do to help a moody teen who is now a vegetarian? And doesn't like my cooking to begin with?

She is extremely hard to please with cooking. SHe refuses to list what she does like, so she is stubborn as well. Only 14! I am going crazy.

Amy1022

Asked by Amy1022 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Get a book on vegetarian cooking (or read about it and recipes online) so you can see some ideas. Find out if she objects to fish, eggs, milk. Ideally you'd find some vegetarian meals that you all enjoyed and for those that weren't you could offer her eggs or cheese plus whatever vegetables you were having. This would be least disruptive for your family, and it would be healthier eating for the family to have some vegetarian meals. It is an excellent idea also to have her do some studying for vegetarian dishes and some preparation. She should know that grains and beans each have a different type of protein and when combined make a complete protein. And she should find out how to make sure she gets enough of all the nutrients that she needs. This will also be useful to your family to understand even more about basics of nutrition. Look upon it as an adventure. And something to tell your grandchildren. *said with a smile*

Answer by Bmat at 8:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Get her a recipe book and give her her own kitchen time. If she doesn't like what you cook, she is plenty old enough to cook for herself.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My goodness! I wouldn't even give her the choice. Who's in charge at home? You make what you make and if she doesn't eat it, that's her choice. She shouldn't be ruling the roost!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Make cooking a time to spend together. Take her to the store with you and give her a set amount. "ok honey you have $30, go pick out what you want to eat". Then have her help you cook. Make sure that she is getting enough nutrients (there are plenty of websites out there that can help you with recipes etc.) Being vegetarian can be very healthy, and giving her the chance to make her own decisions might eliminate some of your headache. Good luck!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yep - make her responsible for cooking for herself (and cleaning up too!). Matter of fact, why don't you pick one night a week and make her responsible for making the meal for the entire family. She may realize how difficult it is to plan and execute meals that EVERYONE will like!

Have her add things to the grocery list each week (within reason of course) so that there ARE things in the house she likes. Make it routine (i.e. if you grocery shop on the same day each week then give her a deadline to write down her list)
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 8:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my daughter went vegetarian around Christmas. I just make extra veggies with our meals and she gets them plus I buy morningstar items than she gets also.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2009