Here's a question about money and "fairness"...

Do you think everyone should pay the same price for things or is it "fair" to give a discount to those who make less money than others? This could apply to the cost of food, housing, health care, etc. What about luxury items? Should those be on a sliding scale also? What about taxes?

If you make more money than some, do you think you should be given the same discounts? Should you have to pay more simply because you can afford it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hmm... me smells A socialism question in disguise.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Flat tax.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Your question is rather vague OP, As far as taxes, I believe in Flat Tax for ALL!!!! :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• lol Grace... I am asking because I have heard people who pay more complain about others having discounts based on income.

I have some pretty strong views about money and politics. I definitely believe in lower taxes and less government intervention. But this question always puzzles me. Do you know that insurance companies at one point were able to hold doctors accountable for charging them a higher fee than other patients? And yet they could reimburse as low as they wanted and call it usual, reasonable, and customary.

I guess I am trying to wrap my mind around where the line is there. And how the government could best enforce it. And it can apply not only to our health care system but housing and other things as well...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I agree, flat tax is the way to go.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i think sliding scales work for some things...like medical costs and therapists for example..or private schools...everyone should have access to the same medical care. It isn't fair that b/c you are wealthly you should be able to get better treatments etc. If you make less money but need a therapist, you should be able to get the help you need. A friend of mine is a therapist and she has a sliding scale based upon the client's insurance availability and income. Sliding scales for food and consumer goods already exists...there are called big box stores like walmart versus upscale stores. Our country was founded on capitalism and should remain as such...but we need to re-evaluate how we charge and approach access to quality medical treatment and schooling.
    funnygirl327

Answer by funnygirl327 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I am a flat tax proponent as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I can give an example of those discounts, at least in MY area. Take a pregnant woman on welfare. She gets all her medical and prescriptions totally free. After they baby is born, WIC provides formula free if she chooses not the breastfeed, and WIC later provides baby food. My state automatically continues the welfare and medicaid for the first year after the baby is born.

Compare that to a working woman with insurance. She has co-pays on Dr. visits and prescriptions. If she chooses not to breastfeed, she pays for the formula costs out of pocket. She doesn't get paid maternity leave, it comes out of her pocket.

The poor mother actually gets better benefits than the working mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Fair tax proponent here. I think that the flat tax is good as well. As far as basic consumerism, there are ways to get discounts if you make less money but for the most part, a smart consumer can do that on their own. As far as schools and healthcare, if you cant afford to pay for what you want, then you get what the government provides and it might be good, it might be bad, it might be both. For those of us who dont want what the government provides, then we have to find ways to pay for it. Im sorry if that means my child gets a better education or better healthcare. I pay for it for them. I dont think life is fair and it never will be fair.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• OP/anon 9;59...I completely agree in that situation it IS unfair! Rewarding people for NOT taking care of their personal responsibilities is unacceptable.

The message is "why try to make a better life for yourself?" That would be Socialism 101.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2009