How do I get my 18 month old to talk instead of throwing a fit?

My 18 month old is my 2nd child. She is in the same day are my son was in at the same age. They learn words and sign language. There are days that all she will do is throw a fit, she will not use her words or signs, even when we remind her. All I know to do is place her in her crib until the fit is over, it is the only safe thing I know to do. No, she can not get out of her crib yet. But yet she can cry a river at the drop of a hat and go for at least 5 mins, now she is learning to throw things, kick and swing her arms. How do I calm her down and at the same time let her see that her actions are not good ones?

wmbeener

Asked by wmbeener at 8:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure how I'd approach this, but I'd say to try to stay calm... it is hard! Tell her repeatedly to use her words or signs. My son tends to act up and will sometimes only do one or the other, instead of both; like I like him to do. Putting her in her bed seems like a wonderful idea to me. It helps you both calm down safely. I've never seen the harm in putting a child in their bed when tantrums start. It lets her know you won't tolerate that behavior.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• If u havent already taught her the words for her emotions u need to. U need to teach her happy, sad, frustrated, etc. Otherwise she wont have anyway of telling u whats going on. Also stay calm is the best way. When my 18 mo DD throws a fit I simply get down to her level make eye contact (she wont though) & explain to her that she needs to calm down so we can figure out what to do. She continues every time so I then ask her a series of things she may want to do color, read, etc. She still continues every time so then I say when u calm down mommy will be here to play w/ u but until then I'm going to do something else but come to me when ur ready to be calm. She usually goes from 20mins up to 40mins of screaming loudly & running around franticly trying to figure out what to do. Not sure if I am doing things the right way but just thought I would share what we do here it might work for ya. Good Luck
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions.  I do my best to get her to look at me and calm down, that is usually when I get kicked and I'm almost 19 weeks pregnant with the 3rd.  My way of staying calm is putting her in her crib, but I know one day she will learn to climb out.  I do my best to tell her to calm down, look at me and ask what's wrong.  I suggest other things like coloring and playing with toys, but that is when she throws things.  My son would talk and throw things while having a fit, it was easy to figure out that he was upset with the toys.  She will not use words, she just keeps crying and screaming. 

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 9:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2009