Hot tub OK for 8 1/2 yr old?

We're on vacation and there's a hot tub in our suite. A friend who is also staying at the same place won't let her 8 1/2 yr old get in because she says its not safe for kids. I don't know anything about hot tubs but would love for us to try it tonight. What do you think? She tends toward paranoia, that's why I ask. Thanks!!

HannahMom2000

Asked by HannahMom2000 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• We have let kids in ours, but they just dont sit for an extended time. My dd wont get in cause she thinks it is too hot, but she hangs out on the side dangling arms and legs in.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I googled it and it said kids are ok in th hottub, but depending on the temp they need to be in a shorter amount of time than adults because their small bodies heat up faster, also dont let them dunk their head under. Hair needs to be pulled up because long hair can be sucked into the return and they cant lift their head up. Those were the only risks mentioned. Just be sure she is supervised, no way she will want to stay in for 20 mins anyway, she will be burning up, mostly likely she will get in and out the whole time. I would let my dd try it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• As long as its not 110 degrees or anything. Its fine. It sounds like your friend is quite paranoid. Just let her stay in as long as she would the bathtub.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• They will be fine, lower the temp so it isn't so hot, put long hair up and have parental supervision at all times. Limit the amount of time in the hot tub so they don't get overheated. My son has been going in my aunts hot tub since he was about 3 and he is 13.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i agree, i think it's ok. we were vacationing in wisconsin, and at the resort, it had a sign that said 'by state law, no children under 6 are to be in the hottub' but i think that it would be alright as long as it's not for a extended period of time. don't worry about it.
    wesleys_mama

Answer by wesleys_mama at 9:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my daughter was 6 when she got in a hot tub with me. She is 11 now. She is still alive!!!!
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 12:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thanks everyone!!! I re-read the hot tub "rules" at the resort which said children under 16 not allowed in. So...I decided not to chance it - maybe they had extra powerful jets or something; I don't know. But...we will get a chance to try it before long - that's my wish. Thanks again. I learned something from each of you who commented!
    HannahMom2000

Answer by HannahMom2000 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009