Do you think a nonreligious married couple are better or worse than a religious married couple?

Since marriage is "Ordained By God" and all, according to some!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It doesn't make one bit of difference. It is a personal choice that isn't anyones business but your own.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Whats it matter what I think? All that matters is what you think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I was recently told that I'm not married at all because I wasn't married in a Christian church, lol.

Personally, I don't care either way. Married is married to me.
    Anonymous

• I've only been involved in a non-religious marriage, but I know mine is great. In general my religious friends seem no more or less happy than we are.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It doesn't matter... Marriage is a legal matter, always was, always will be. If it wasn't you wouldn't have to fill out paperwork.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The only problem with religious marriages is when the religions clash, and the couple hasn't thought how it will effect a future family. (which isn't the religions fault, it's the fault of the couple for not discussing such matters before walking down the aisles)

Otherwise, it really doesn't make a difference. Couples grow when together.. and after a while some grow closer, some grow farther apart. My parents grew together.. and even though they were married in a Methodist Church, they now share different religious views now, from those when they were married. Now my mother is an agnostic Christian, while my father has more of an agnostic Scientology outlook on things. But since they grew together, it's something that never hindered their relationship.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't think it makes any difference really. As long as a couple is happy,and devoted to one another,and to making the marriage work, religion or lack thereof has no bearing. What matters is how they feel about one another,and how serious they are about making the marriage last,through the good times,and the bad.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• neither better nor worse. God is involved in my marriage b/c thats important to me, but i dont think he makes my marriage easier or happier just b/c i believe in Him. nor would He make a non-religious couple's marriage harder or sadder just b/c they dont believe.

a marriage is good or bad based on the couple, not religion. how much do they love each other, how do they handle bad times, & how do they handle disagreements? imo these are more important.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Depends on the couple. I know alot of "non-religious" people who have great marriages as well as Christian marriages. I also know alot of "religious" people who have horrible marriages as well as "non-religious" people. The divorce rate is just as high for couples in the church as for couples outside of the church. Yes, your faith can help keep a marriage strong, but it doesn't guarentee a strong marriage. I am a Christian, but I've learned that being a Christian does not mean you do everything perfectly. I heard a statistic that said 80% of marriages will deal with an affair one way or another. That includes "religious" people. Marriage is hard wheather you are "religious" or not.
    Mykidsmaid

Answer by Mykidsmaid at 10:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• MY nonreligious marriage is AWESOMEbouncing...and I do think our similar beliefs have helped us. We rely on ourselves and the love and commitment we have for our family to get us through any difficulties we might have along the way...Lately, those have been few and far between!! :-D

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2009