How to introduce a lovey?

Neither of my boys attached to a lovey to help them learn to self soothe. How do I help my dd become attached to a lovey. She currently pinches at my skin when I nurse her as a way to soothe herself. She's 12 mo.

faeriemamma

Asked by faeriemamma at 4:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you looking for something to soother her other than nursing? You can't really "choose" a lovey for her, but maybe if you put a blanket between yourselves when nursing she will get used to that texture and help in the soothing process when not nursing. But I definitly agree with not forcing one on her. less of a headache for you! Good luck.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Honestly, I never had a lovey.....and my daughter never had one either until she was 4 1/2 and in daycare for the first time. Even then, it was more because she wanted to have something like everyone else than she needed it to fall asleep. I say skip the lovely.
    sskyesmom

Answer by sskyesmom at 4:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't introduce it in the 1st place. It's just something you might have to take away in the future.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 4:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I don't know... my son grew attached to his lovey when he was still very small (I think 6 months?) and I don't know how to introduce one to an older baby. Maybe try having her pinch the lovey instead of your skin while nursing? That would maybe get the ball rolling, anyways...

Good luck!
    Gemaecca

Answer by Gemaecca at 4:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would not introduce one either. Though none of mine had them as babies. My youngest around 18 months got attatched to a blanket though. Now he won't sleep w out it.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 4:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You shouldn't "introduce" a lovey for your child. If she finds one.. great. If not, then you just know you'll never have to replace it later when she loses it, leaves it outside in the rain, or cuts it in half. LOL! :)
    Home_Interiors

Answer by Home_Interiors at 7:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008