my 4 year old grinds her teeth at night when she's sleep...

i did some research and i find that it has to do with mal-aligned teeth (her teeth look perfectly straight to me, inherited by both parents) or maybe stress, which i dont think could be the case because she is a happy go lucky kinda gal all the time. She also snores really badly and gasps for air sometimes when she is sleeping...I am taking her to see an ENT next month (its ridiculous how long we have to wait for an ENT appointment). Anyone has dealt with or is dealing with this with their preschool aged or similar aged child? Any suggestions?

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Usually when they snore and gasp for air, they may have sleep apnea. It can sometimes be dangerous but it can be managed. My son also grinds his teeth during his sleep but the pediatrician said it was okay and normal..he will grow out of it. But if he does it during the day, to correct him and tell him not to do that it can break his teeth...so I did and he has stopped. Even at night. My Dad has sleep apnea and has to wear a CPAP and is fine. Just make sure when you talk to the ENT ask about Sleep Apnea and tell him to check her for it. It means doing a sleep study but well worth it if she has it. Good Luck and I hope it is something simple and not sleep apnea.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It sounds like sleep apnea. I was just going to repond to the grinding teeth part. My son has grinded teeth since about two and he is almost 6. Both the peds office and peds dentist say it is normal and not causing problems until adult teeth are in. Then if he hasn't out grown it, we can do a night guard.
    It does have on good thing, LOL. He got 2 loose teeth in the past month, and due to grinding at night, they were out in 2 days. I think he swallowed one by accident, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Get a mouth guard from a sporting goods store and have her wear it at night. Just read the directions on how to mold it to her mouth.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2009