Do ever feel like people sum you up based on your political affiliation?

Do you feel like because you seem to lean left or right that others assume that you fit the typical stereotypes that may come along with certain sides?

Like all those who claim to be liberals are poor and uneducated or all conservatives are bible spewing, gun toting, rich people.

Could it be that if you think that way that you are perpetuating a stereotypes yourself and fail to admit it.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe not so much my political affiliation,as my religious beliefs. They hear I'm a Christian,and most automatically think, "oh great,another nutjob,gonna try and convert me." I'm not like that. Yes, I live my faith in God everyday,and do all I can to let Jesus show in my life,but I'm not going to run around telling others they are going to hell,or they'd better get thier lives right with God! If I'm asked a question, I'll tell them,but that's it. And, by being a Christian,they also automatically think I'm a right wing weirdo. Yes,I'm very conservative Christian Republican,but I'm not going to shove that down anyone's throat,either.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes. I'm conservative. That means I'm a gun-toting, Bible thumping, flag-waving republican.

That's me.

Except I don't own a gun, I don't thump the Bible (I read it), and I don't wave a Flag-- I say the Pledge of Allegiance in it's entirety. Oh. And I'm not Republican. I'm conservative-- Reagan Conservative.

christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I guess I don't really care what anyone thinks about me or my political beliefs. Any mis-informed impressions that they have about me are there's to have. I value myself enough that I don't care what other people think about me. I suppose I am against the norm of my political affiliation anyway.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Oh, totally. People (on here) just love calling me a dirty, shit-eating "lib" every chance they get. I'm also called a "sheeple", a "kool-aid drinker", an "Obamatron", and any other slang you can think of.

It hurts. I'm actually a nice person, but people judge outer looks instead of what's inside. I thought that kind of attitude was supposed to be left in grade school.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My husband and I are switching our political affiliations once AGAIN, this time from Republican to Independent, because the Republican party (at this juncture) no longer represents us.

My husband has always been a "Reagan Republican," and I was Republican voting registered Democrat, and we're now switching to Independent, until a contestable Libertarian 3rd Party is established--not just Democrats vs. Republicans--but where a Libertarian candidate actually stands a chance running for a top political position.

My husband and I were raised STRICT Roman Catholic (hubby was even an Altar Boy and had two maternal uncles who were Catholic Priests), but we no longer attend Church even though we still hold strong moral convictions and believe in God. We feel living a noble, compassionate and generous life is more important than sending our Church a check each week. We do not own a Bible, but do own guns, and earn a nice income.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thank you ladies for your responses. I'm still interested in someone responding to this question too.

Could it be that if you think that way that you are perpetuating a stereotypes yourself and fail to admit it?

I've seen quite a few assumptions about other parties thrown around here like it's confetti.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yeah, I'm a self-proclaimed hypocrite. I'm young, I make mistakes. I've said things in the heat of the moment that I regret. At least I'm woman enough to admit it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes. On here especially.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Here on CM, all the time. I don't let them bug me as the people who are important know the truth and no one else matters.

I will admit when I came to CM over 2 years ago, I had spent a lot of time on DU, I was very biased to the left and thought most Republicans were gun totin, bible thumpers, etc. I know better now and have made friends with many people I couldn't stand when I started here and I have learned a lot. I am seriously considering changing my affiliation to Independent.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• People are more likely to stereotype me because I'm a homeschooler. The hate-filled venom of anti-homeschoolers on CM make these political debates seem mild. Luckily, most people on here are very nice.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2009