Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

URGENT-tide laundry detergent

were waiting to hear the from vet any minute but our detergent fell during the night and our smallest dog is lethagic. our bigger dogs seem just fine. what will the vet find wrong with her. i see she has a lot of skin irritation on her but there has to be more wrong with her right? anyone esle goes through this?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pets

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • They call them accidents for a reason. Please don't beat yourself up over this already sad situation. Usually this type of toxicity is a no win situation. It happens to the most diligent of pet owners. I am sorry your pup did not make it but it is not your fault.

    equusvetgal

    Answer by equusvetgal at 10:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • we already called animal poison control as well.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • Well, skin irritation makes me think allergy to it, a spoon full of peroxide will help her throw up.
    Skyler11978

    Answer by Skyler11978 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • skyler- you CANNOT always give peroxide to make an animal throw up. sometimes vomiting makes the situation worse. unless you want to be held accountable for someone's animal getting sicker than they would, do NOT tell people to make their dog throw up.
    MaMaLaLa369

    Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • Take her to the vet -fast- if she is acting lethargic. I'd worry about the heavy detegrent falling on the dog, or her ingesting some of it. I wouldn't waste any more time waiting for someone to give you an answer on cafemom. Hope everything turns out ok.
    ShadesofGrey

    Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • we rushed her there when they opened and they don't think she will make it. i heard her barking and howlering like she does but this time it woke me up but i just put ear plugs in. i never felt anything telling me something was wrong and she does that whenever we put her away in another room. we have to other dogs. one is normal as she always is and the other puked up and is a little sick but our concern lies with poor puppy. her paws and bellie were burnt. i wish we had discovered her earlier. have no idea how long they had been in there with the tide detergent on the floor.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • Toxin
    Detergents

    Source
    Detergents are divided into several categories.

    Soaps: Bar soaps, laundry soaps, and homemade soaps.

    Anionic detergents: Laundry detergents, shampoos, dish soaps, and electric dishwashing detergents.

    Cationic detergents: Fabric softeners, sanitizers, disinfectants, and rust inhibitors in petroleum products. This category includes quaternary ammoniums.

    Non-ionic detergents: Dishwashing detergents, shampoos, and some laundry detergents.

    General Information
    Detergents come in a variety of forms with each having a different level of toxicity. Every home has these common products in some form, and all family members need to be aware of the dangers.

    Toxic Dose
    Soaps: True soaps are usually not toxic.

    Anionic: Slightly to moderately toxic; may result in illness but generally not fatalities.

    Cationic: Highly to extremely toxic;
    equusvetgal

    Answer by equusvetgal at 5:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • Non-ionic: Less toxic than the anionic and cationic detergents.

    Signs
    Soaps: Vomiting and diarrhea. Homemade soap may cause corrosive GI lesions (burns).

    Anionic: Irritated mucous membranes, vomiting, lack of appetite, diarrhea, and GI distention. May have corrosive injuries in the mouth and GI tract. Eye exposure may result in edema around the cornea, reddening and swelling of the conjunctiva, and corneal erosions or ulcers.

    Cationic: Vomiting, lack of appetite, drooling, muscle weakness, depression, seizures, collapse, coma, and burns to the mouth and GI tract. Eye exposure may cause redness and severe corneal erosions and ulcers. Skin exposure may result in hair loss and skin irritation.

    Non-ionic: Vomiting and diarrhea.

    Immediate Action
    DO NOT induce vomiting if ingested. It may cause more harm. Seek veterinary attention. In the case of dermal contact, flush the skin for at least 30 minutes with running
    equusvetgal

    Answer by equusvetgal at 5:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • In the case of eye contact, flush the eye with sterile saline or water for 20 minutes. Seek veterinary attention while you are performing the decontamination.

    Veterinary Care
    General treatment: Administration of milk or water in the case of soap, anionic, or non-ionic detergent ingestion, or administration of milk, water, or egg whites in the case of cationic detergent ingestion. If dermal (skin) or ocular exposure occurred, the affected areas will continue to be flushed with sterile saline.

    Supportive treatment: Pain medication may be administered, hydration is maintained through IV fluids, and other treatments for symptoms may be given.

    Specific treatment: Unavailable.

    Prognosis
    Fair to good, depending on detergent ingested.

    equusvetgal

    Answer by equusvetgal at 5:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • she didn't make it and everyone was so hopeful she had started to lift her head and was licking her leg. they said they heard her more then before but 15 minutes after she was last checked on she had died. we can't help but cry and i can't help and wonder what if i had done this or that. like when i heard her through the night. if i had gotten her and put her out back i would have saved her. if only the other dogs are been making a fuss like her then i would of known something was really wrong.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN