eczema ...what has worked best for your child?

all 3 of mines deal with it. so i have been trying different things for the last 4 years. Hypo allergenic detergents, dove body wash and cutivate have been the best things so far to help a little...but even with using these products they still have outbreaks...i have also used pricy lotions such as eucerin and aveeno and good old petroleum jelly and baby oil and plenty of prescription topical creams and all seem to not work very much. oh and my son kinda responds to this oral prescription medicine, but the condition seems to get immune to different things used to treat it...any suggestions?

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• same problem with mine. my doctor gave me some kind of prescription that has seemed to work. but i can only put it on him every other week. so it's kinda hard and it comes back so fast snd itches him so bad. so i'd love to know too.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 10:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My daughter has had it for most of her life (19 now) and still gets flare ups in the summer. Grass always aggrivated it. We use CeraVe (sp) (I found it at CVS but it is hard to find.) for moisture and yes it is expensive but it does keep her skin moist which helps. Its more like a body butter , very think. Also the best thing for you to do is take the kids to a dermatologist. A prescription for Elidel is the best for flare ups. It works great for those scabby patches they get when they scratch to much.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Aquaphor works wonders on eczema and there is no steroids in it (the prescription stuff has steroids in it). Aquaphor can even be used on the lips for chapped lips, used as many times a day as needed and a little goes on long way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Elidel has no steroids in it and is ok to use on kids. Thats exactly why it was invented. Creams and such are only good for preventing the drying of the skin helping to keep the eczema from flaring up. That should be fine if your child never gets it so bad they scratch it till they have scabs.
    When they bathe, keep the skin from dryin gto much by making sure it is a short bath and not to hot.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Udder cream. Not the "cow print" bottle sold at Walmart or drug stores but the REAL deal purchased from a farm supply company. The other thing that has really helped is Aquafor but it's so dang expensive. Eucerin doesn't touch it and though it's hypoallergenic and unscented...it burns her skin.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I had to deal with eczema my whole life up until I gave birth and realized how to control my feelings and stress level. You have to keep a separate journal for your kids and document food, activities, and topical ointments or medicine. And that night document the skin's condition. Find the thing that's making the skin flare up and avoid it at all cost. Also, when they have a flare up and you use topical ointments to cure it, you can't just stop cold turkey on using the ointment. The skin goes thru withdrawal from the steriods and the ezcema comes right back. Ask the dermatologist very specific questions and don't be afraid to call when the skin changes to see if you should do something different. Also, lotion needs to be applied thru out the day, not just after a shower. Keeping the skin moisturized keeps the scratching away.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 11:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i have had eczema all my life and my kids have it and good ol' hydocortizone works.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 5:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• If you've tried everything else, then it might be time to check into possible food intolerances or outright allergies. My son is intolerant to gluten and when he eats too much of it, he gets terrible eczema outbreaks. After we put him on a gluten-free diet, the eczema went away.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No dairy
    Lots of water
    Keep it well moisterized; coconut oil is best.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Elidel is carcinogenic and should not be used on children!!!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009