has anyone ever been a foster parent?

please share with me that lifestyle...like how did you get into that and what is it like and what made you stop if you arent doing it anymore? it just breaks my heart that there are sooooo many children out there that need good homes and are going from home to home...some good ...some not so good. I was thinking of maybe opening my home up to be a foster parent (well we would be foster parents because i am married), but i just dont know where we would get the time...but i feel like i need to do something ...i feel so bad for these kids. i dream of helping babies and the elderly...the most abused and neglected in our society...or really just helping people who really need help in general is a joy of mines.

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• IM NOT A FOSTOR PARENT BUT I USE TO BABY SIT CHILDREN FROM FOSTER CARE THEY WOULD TELL U ANYTHING AND MAKE U SEE THEM AS A BETTER PERSON THAT NEEDS ATTENTION AND CARE
    MS.AVON1

Answer by MS.AVON1 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My inlaws were FP for approx. 100 kids. They were all teens. First they some teen girls and then switched to boys. They had mostly troubled kids who had criminal backgrounds. It was difficult and wonderful for them. They waited until their own kids were the same age as the fosters, so that their kids were not vulnerable.
    If you have small children, only get kids that are younger than your own, a lot of times these kids have experienced abuse and turn around and abuse others. It it less likely to happen to your kids if the fosters are younger then your kids.
    As hard as it was sometimes, it was wonderful for them to be able to give these kids a "home" when no one else could. They still have contact with a lot of the former FKids and have a very close relationship with one in particular. He is married now and has two kids. He is a very sweet guy who had such a horrible situation before he went with my inlaws.
    Good Luck, Big Hugs
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2009