Making a 14 hr drive alone with a 6 month old? PIOC

I'm making a trip in about 2 wks, I'm driving 14 hrs to VA to go to a church camp, but I'm going alone with my baby and I'm terrified!!
1. I'm scared she'll get fussy from sitting in a carseat for so long.
2. I'm terrified of highways anyways, and I've got a 14 hr trip full of highways, including through the mountains.
3. I'll be alone, so I have to do the driving, feeding, changing, etc, all on my own.

I'll be stopping in NC to pick up my dad and sis on the way, but that's not until about 10 hrs into the trip.
Has anyone made such a long trip with a baby before? How did you do it? Should I drive through the night?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 10:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We took a 12 hour trip with my son at about the same age. Although there were 2 of us... we didn't sit in the back with him or anything like that.
    We stopped every 3 hours. To get out, take a break, eat, change diapers. I bought a few new toys and didn't let him play with them until the ride, brought a few of his favorites. Brought along tiny little 2 oz bottles to give to him. Packed expressed milk and juice... he almost never has juice so it was a special treat and kept him interested. We did the tiny bottles because if he threw it on the floor or lost it then it wasn't a whole bottle wasted (and it was easy for him to hold)
    My son mostly slept the whole time! He was so good... and we were shocked to find that he still slept at night too!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would suggest getting a portable DVD player and some Baby Einstein DVD's...My two kids loved them at that age and kept them interested the whole time. They loved the Baby Neptune and Mozart but really liked Baby McDonald..I think that is what it is called. Take a lot of toys with you and keep them in the front seat so you can reach back there (CAREFULLY) to give her one when she gets fussy...You will be amazed..she may sleep almost most of the drive. Good Luck and Be Careful.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• driving at night helps, but considering you are scared it wouldnt be good to drive all night. you could start at 6 and drive til 12 or so and spend the night, then you would only have a few hours in the morning til you had family with you. plan on taking breaks, a dvd player may even help and infant so she atleast has something to look at (Im assuming she will be backwards..idk im past that stage) .Take a big blanket so when you stop the baby can crawl around for awhile and stretch out.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• She's still rear-facing so idk how I would put a DVD player in the back dash. Oh I might add that I drive a 2-dr car, so it's cramped for space.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I went from utah to tenn and just pull over as much as u can and make sure the baby has toys and a bottle and every time u stop let her out of the car set for move then just changing her other then that my son did fine on the way there it was the way back that was hell
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 10:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• But on the bright side, my sister will be riding back with me, so I'll have help with my daughter on the way back.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i u drive during the day i would stop after about 2 to 3hours if baby isnt sleeping to change her?him.how old is ur baby,if shes old enough,bring snacks.buy a childrens cd.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009