How much was your child talking at 22 months??

She can comprehend everything. But she isn't talking much. All she says is "Mommy" and points when she wants something. (My mom says she doesn't talk becuase she doesnt HAVE to...) She will say no, bye, juice, baby, stop,dog... and thank u. Rarely...but I have hear I love you :)

She does babbly alot in her own language...she knows what she is saying tho!! lol
How were your kids talking at this age.

What words were they using?

Should she be talking more?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My older son had a full vocabulary at this age, but we were told that was unusual. My younger son... can't remember, but I don't remember being concerned, so I assume he spoke well, too.

But you don't need to worry. Every child develops differently. My sister didn't talk until she was three, and now there's no stopping her. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 10:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my SD was babbling up a storm. half of it was real words and phrases, and the other half was just to fill in the blanks, i think. it really depends on their personality and environmet. are you a quiet person? do you talk to her a lot? does she get much time with adults and older kids?
    she's probably going to surprise you some day- wake up talking, and not stop for the rest of her life! lol. every child does things at their own pace! :) but the more you talk to her, and encourage her to talk, the quicker it'll come!
    good luck! have a great holiday!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My older two were holding conversations.

My youngest wasn't saying a word and started speech therapy for a severe speech delay. He said his first word after a month of therapy at 23 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my son is the same age. Most of his language is baby babble still. He says: baba (which is cup but he won't say cup..lol), bye, hey, daddy, mama, uncle, ready, night night, one, two, three, eat, done, more, papaw, prissy (parents' dog), nanna, baby, shoes, eye, mine, nose, thank you, love you, && a some other one syllable words. He isn't really saying sentences or anything yet, but he was doing other things very early so I'm not really worried. I figure he'll talk when he's ready. He can also point to body parts correctly when I name them; ears, eyes, mouth, nose, hair, && belly button. I don't think you should be worried about your daughter. My SD is 28 months old && her vocabulary isn't much bigger than my son's.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My son has a total of over 50 words and hes 21 months but he doesnt say sentences just maybe 2 words at a time. He babbles a lot though, sometimes i worry about his speech but the doctors say they dont worry about speech until they are about 2. He doesnt always say real words(at least that i understand) when he talks to me but most of the time he does. A lot of kids dont talk a lot becuase they dont have to, i heard from our doc that you should make them say what they want every time, or at least repeat it to them so they do know what they are supposed to ask for. But keep in mind that every child is different and some kids talk more than others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My 19 month old daughter knows too many words to count, she repeats everything you say, she understands so much more, she can sing the alphabet and count 1 to 10 all on her own...and recognizes the letters when shown to her. . she knows some colors, shapes and animals too. i've been teaching her everyday since she was under a year old. my dd's pediatrician says she's advanced for her age.... she also does the cute baby babble too, though.

i wouldn't worry what other children are doing so much. just ask your child's pediatrician and maybe see a speech therapist if you're too worried about it. i wouldn't be too concerned, every child learns at a different pace. probably before you know it, she'll be talking your ear off.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• she just started putting words together into complete sentences...she uses words in the right context too. she knew body parts when she was 13 months. it's truly amazing and your daughter will do it too and someday soon. don't you worry mama! take care and good luck. happy 4th!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2009