Why do you think my puppy...

Why do you think that my puppy only pees his cage if there is soft stuff in it. I feel bad I have to put him in a hard cage at night to sleep with no blanket or anything, because if I do he will pee on it. Why?

Cherish050307

Asked by Cherish050307 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pets

• IDK? He might be peeing in his sleep. I had never heard of such, but our last puppy did just that, that is what the vet said she was doing two years ago. She is now potty trained at two years old. She will even wake me up in the middle of the night to go outside. I never did the cage thing, I always had a barrier & kept her on linoleum & used the puppy pee pads. She would go on the pads. You have to line them thick one on top the other over the seams where they meet or the pee drips through the cracks to the floor. Good luck figuring it all out.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Soft things make them comfortable and relaxed. My puppy only pees on the carpet (only if she doesn't get let outside in time). But its just a reflex for them. They're babies, they like soft things.
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 11:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• A dog will generally not pee in the area it has to lay down in. To use a crate properly, it should only be big enough for the dog to stand up, and turn around in. Anything more than this and he will pee on one side. Also, I would suggest taking him out right before bedtime when you put him in, and limiting his water throughout the night, if you are not already. Take out any blankets for a week and put a divider in the cage so he only has so much room, and that should stop the behavior. Afterward, try putting either a different blanket in there or wash the other blanket in something that will dissolve the pee smell (Nature's Miracle works really well!). I crate trained all my dogs, and now they love to go in and lay down for the night, or if we have company! Do not attempt to put puppy pads in the crate with him, bc this will only reinforce the idea that its ok to go in the crate. Good luck!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2009