Need help with poop-eating toddler!

My little girl is in the fun with "poop-paint" and eating it stage. The problem is she only does it at night so I don't know how to prevent her from doing it. Help?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it was just playing, I would say put her sleeper on backwards so she has a harder time getting to the diaper. Or put a onesie under her sleeper. Robinann's duct tape idea was great too! But the eating thing is very worrisome. If it was just one time, I wouldn't worry about it. Every kid will stick something horrid in their mouth at least once. But if she continues to do it, you need to call your doctor.

Do you have a baby monitor? If so, crank it up so you can hear every little sound in her room. If you can catch her in the act & tell her a firm NO, it might help. Also, maybe you can get in there before she gets the diaper off. Change her with no fuss or fanfare & put her right back to bed. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i really think this is one for the doctors. eating feces can be a sign of something a little more serious than a 'stage' of toddlerhood.
    best of luck, honey. i wish i had better advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I agree, playing in it is one thing, but eating it is a sign of a possible nutritional deficiency. I would contact the doctor.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I guess I'll call the doctor then. I just wasn't sure if it was nutritional because if anything we had too much to eat last night b/c it was our early 4th.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My 4th child was bad about taking her diaper off, once I walked in to find her with poop on her face and hands! She smiled at me, and said, "Chocitt!" Her daddy decided he had another use for duct tape, we'd duct tape her diapers on at night. She couldn't get them off.....solved that problem! LOL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Duct tape. or an outfit that she can't get off. When we were in between the naked stage and potty training we did a lot of awkward outfits and duct tape to keep her from peeing and pooping all over.
    kswyo

Answer by kswyo at 5:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009