If Sprout is a PBS channel, why do I have to pay more for it on my cable?

In order for my children to be able to watch the Sprout channel I had to purchase an extra channel bundle. It costs as extra 15.00 per month on my cable bill. They actually bundled all the kids channels together. The only one available on basic cable is Nickelodeon.
But my point is PBS is Public Broadcast System, so why do they charge for it? Do you have Sprout? Does it cost you extra?

dianna2402

Asked by dianna2402 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• IT USE TO BE FREE, I DNT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD CHARGE U FOR IT I GUESS THAT'S AN EASY WAY FOR THEM TO GET MONEY OUT OF U? HAVE U EVER HEARD OF THE CHANNEL NOGGIN IT'S ALSO FOR KIDS
    MS.AVON1

Answer by MS.AVON1 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It is part of an extended bundle where we live too. PBS is free...but Sprout isn't. I guess it's kind of like...if you want an upgrade from basic PBS, you pay for it.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• MS AVON1....yes I have. It is part of my bundle I pay extra for....lol.
    dianna2402

Answer by dianna2402 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have Sprout on DirecTv, and I don't pay extra for it. I just pay extra for those darn movie channels DF doesn't want to give up!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 11:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't know but will you help me take out Chicka the Chicken please? I have been looking for a hitman to hire but no one will do it.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 12:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2009