so, I'm at the ER last night and. . .

Ok, judge if you want. I'm on child #3 and don't know what it feels like to have my water break (an epidural is a beautiful thing.)

I DO have to be very careful, though. If my water breaks I deliver within an hour. Our hospital is a half an hour away. Well, last night I had a warm trickle. . .

and decided to call the doc, who asked me to run in to L&D, just to be safe. I just missed the closing of the building and had to check in through the ER. . .

Where I sat for TWO HOURS! Seriously, two hours.

I waited, while. . .
a drug addict begged for a shot of demerol. She was told multiple times she couldn't have ANOTHER shot that night.
A mother and son arrived, and continued to wrestle, slap box and tickle each other while waiting to be called.

The man across from me complained about a stomach ache.
There were several headaches. The room was literally full of people with headaches. con't. . .

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Many people do not have healthcare as we see it, they use the ER as their primary care physician, They go to the ER and get the very best healthcare available. Meanwhile, those who actually have emergencies have to wait in line behind those with the sniffles, headaches, tummy upsets, and minor rashes. The very few horror stories that you read about in the newspaper or at some sites on the internet about "children dying for lack of healthcare" are widely trumpeted just BECAUSE they are rare incidences. In most cases, if you read closely you will find that the child was sick for some time and the parents "were worried" but not worried enough to take the child to the hospital long before the problem became life-threatening. I don't think UHC will change any of these problems, many people who are not eligible for healthcare will still be ineligible for UHC due to drug dependencies or other personal problems.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• At my hospital, you checked in and then were sent directly up to L & D. Did you ask if this was a normal route after hours? L & D may close as far as an entry point, but they are never closed for business. Did you call your doctor from the hospital? I would have.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• There was one family that obviously needed to be at the ER. The rest, from various conversations, could have easily waited till the morning to see a normal doc.

Do you think that the possibility of free health care for all will reduce the abuse of the ER system? or is it just that people have no respect for the system and the etiquette thereof?

Will government sponsored health care stream line the process, or make it worse?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• wow, what kind of hooptie ass hospital is that? it's been about 4yrs since I had my last child but anytime I had any kind of issue with my pregnancy they took me up stairs to L & D, I was not to wait in the regular ER at all.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Are you kidding? That would make it so much worse if everyone had free healthcare! All the drug addicts going in there fakeing some injury to get a quick FREE fix.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 11:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Well, it will be worse.

However, what the heck kind of hospital was that? Every hospital I've worked at andthe ones (2) I delivered my kids at, the women in labor were taken directly to L & D... sorry but that really threw me off. It's strange.

Anyway, all ERs are full of "seekers" or addicts who are out looking for their fix so nothing will ever change there. And in defense of the headache people. There are times when my migraines get so bad that I've HAD to go to the ER. I try not to let them get that bad, but every once in a while they do. It sucks too because any movement and light makes me puke my guts out when I'm like that. Fortunately I've always been able to get right in because my pain is so serious.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It'll make ER wait worse because otherwise people will be waiting 2-3 months to see their doctor for a cold that they were over already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I was at the ER for 8 hours last week having one seizure after another....so some hospitals are just stupid....To answer the question....no, I dont think it will make a difference, because there are always going to be people that feel they need to be seen immediatly, like once they get it in their head that they are sick or whatever then they need to be seen right then. I think free health care is a great idea, though, so that everyone can get the medical care they need.
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The ER is where people without insurance go. If everyone has AFFORDABLE health care or some kind of other program, I do not think they would abuse the emergency room. I'm sorry you had to wait that long and I hope you're feeling alright.

I disagree with the people who say it will make it worse. I'm on military "socialized" health care and I don't wait. People on medicare/medicaid/and children on public programs do not wait.

I often wonder how many of you who claim to know what the process is like actually know. Do you have family who live in countries or socialized health care, are you from one yourself or do you just go by what you READ? Sure, there are people in Canada and other countries who don't like their care but nobody will be happy with everything all of the time.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't think UHC will change any of these problems, many people who are not eligible for healthcare will still be ineligible for UHC due to drug dependencies or other personal problems.

Oh, they won't have a choice. The new version of the bill says they can't deny anyone for pre-existing conditions or charge them more, but, if you do not get coverage for your family, you will be fined $1000+ per year (so if you don't have it, figure out from who's ass you're going to pull the $5k/yr to pay for your new "free" healthcare). The new plan will not be free, but will be subsidized for some people. Remember, subsidy does not equal paid in full.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2009