Why are 3-D movies more expensive?

Is this a scam or are there greater costs in making this type of movie? We just saw the new Ice Age movie and it was $2 more per ticket--our family of 5 paid $10 extra!!! I felt taken advantage of. Of course, we chose to see the movie, but what do you think?

I don't even want to get started on concession costs.........

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Entertainment

• Movies are expensive. I usually let my dd take a friend so for the 3 of us it ends up being $50 and that with us taking outown candy, but we usually share a popcorn and buy drinks. I luv 3D, but it is alot. Im sure some of the cost is for glasses, but movies in general are alot for families!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• because of the glasses I guess. But I don't like the 3d movies. I messes with my eyes and just isn't worth it.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I am sure that not only the price of the glasses that drives up cost but also the production and animations that are in 3D do as well. With a imax movie(I know that is not 3D but it costs a lot as well) it takes animators upwards of 72 hours to create 1 frame of film.
    rennisance

Answer by rennisance at 2:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My dad has been a theater manager for as long as I can remember...It's not just the glasses it's like the PP said it takes so much longer to develop those 3-D scenes. they have to draw and over lap several cells to make the 3-D illusion work so that's twice the work. Making it take twice as long or twice as many animators. The 3-D films also require a different type of projector they need digital so if the theater has not already gone digital they will need to in order to play the ever popular 3-D film. That is a huge cost out of their pocket as are the glasses. Keep in mind how many of those glasses will 'disappear' every month and need replaced. Extra staff to hand out and collect and clean glasses to. The theater it's self doesn't really make money on the tickets but the concessions they do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009