unsure how to calculate my ovulation at this point

I understand how to calculate everything if I were on a 28 day cycle, unfortunately Im not that regular. I had my daughter in Oct 2007, and did not get a period again until Jan 2009. Since then Ive had 35 days, 29 days, 34 days, 30 days and I am now on day 34. Do I use the average number of these to know when i may be ovulating? Or is it 14 days before your period that you should ovulate? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

sylvia10907

Asked by sylvia10907 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I wouldnt stress about it, just have sex every other day all the time lol. Thats what my DH and I did and we were pregnant with in a week. But if you really want to know they sell ovulation predictors at walmart and rite aid. Its kinda like a pregnancy test, but you pee on it and it tells you if your fertile or not.
    My DD was also born in October 2007.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The best thing to do is chart your cycles, especially cervical mucus and basal body temperatures (www.fertilityfriend.com is a huge help). The CM will tell you when you're most fertile, and the BBTs will tell you for sure when you ovulate, and from there you can spot any patterns, like how long after you ovulate you're likely to start your period, and thus when you can take an HPT, etc. Ovulation predictor kits are useful, too, though they can get expensive especially if you're not regular, and they may not be as accurate as charting. Generally, though, ovulation occurs 11-15 days before your period, and you're most fertile in the 2-3 days before that. A lot of doctors recommend, if you don't know when you ovulate, to have sex every other day from day 10-20 or so, which should cover all the bases, maybe extend it to 25 days just in case.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Okay when you have your period start with day 9 start counting from the first day of your period. Have sex every other day up until day 21. You are most fertile between days 14-21, but to be safe and hopefully definite do 9-21.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• www.mymonthlycycle.com
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you ... had my son in Sep. 07, didn't get my period back for a year after that and my cycle is just not the same every month. We started trying last month and what I am doing is trying to loosely figure out when I will ovulate. (There are websites that you can put in the date of your last period, and how long your cycle is and they tell you when you shoud ovulate) I am putting in one at a time from 30 - 35 days, which seems to be the range for me and then just having sex every other day to cover ALL of the range. (and tacking on a couple of day at the beginning and end to be safe:) It adds up to about 2 weeks of every other day sex. I figure we'll try this for about 6-8 months and if no luck I will probably ask my obgyn for help. I just don't want to get too stressed about it, because I know that is no good! Best of luck to you!
    Anonymous