Burping Baby (2 Month Old)

I've not had a problem burping my 2 month old up until recently, but it seems as if he is falling asleep more frequently during his feeding and as I try to burp him, that makes him even further sleepy and I'm getting nothing out of him. I try over the shoulder, over the knee propped up, and on his stomach and I'm getting nothing. I know there will be times I won't get anything, but this is happening way too frequently as of this past week or a little more. Anyone have any ideas? If I can't get a burp, he tends to have more spit up later and I'm afraid he will choke if I happen to be doing something around the house.

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 11:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try sitting him up, in a sitting position. Thats what worked best for my kiddo.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My friend showed me a trick that worked half of the time. But could also potentially make LO upchuck too. lol Use at your own risk. If you lay him on your arms stretched out in front of you so he is looking up at you with his feet to your tummy, hold him close to your chest then, then with a secure grip on his shoulders and neck, swing him gently down so he's upside down and in the same smooth motion, bring him back up again. You can either try burping again or repeat a time or two before trying to burp. It helps any bubbles work their way up. Like I said, It DID work some times! It might be worth a try.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I bounce DS on my knee (gently!). I keep one hand on his stomach and you can actually feel when the air bubble starts moving. Works like a charm.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 2:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I've tried most all of this but when I sit him up or put him in any other position, he goes to sleep on me and that makes it worse. It seems when he is going through growth spurts or something, I have the burping issue. For the most part, he is good with it.

And, DirtyMonkey, my husband already does that. LOL. So, I'm wondering who told him about it because this is our first and he was like, "Oh yeah, I do this." He is better at the burping than me. No doubt, but I know someone had to of told him about that.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 2:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009