How to get my child to talk...

My son is 15months old and the only words he says is Mama and Dada. He won't say anything else, I have books for him and try to teach him to talk and everytime I do he throws a fit like he doesnt want to hear it. Do you have any advice on how I can get him to talk??

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't be to worried about it. My little sister was the same way only she didn't even say mama or dada. She would just point at things. Now she is 21 and you can't get a word in edgewise. I would just continue to talk to him and put words to whatever he is doing. Besides if your really worried ask his ped. HTH
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• all babies love music,play a show like the wiggles over and over and i bet he will try to sing
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• use sign language! I know it seems odd to say use sign while trying to get them to talk- but sometimes they won't use ANY words because it is hard to communicate or get words out- my son started talking muchmore once he was able to communicate with sign. Good Luck! Don't worry- about it though :)
    Anonymous

• I agree.... don't worry and try sign language! Whenever you are saying something like "do you want to eat? sign eat with it and show him how to sign eat as well. Thats just an example, but it works!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• his time to talk is decreed. So i wouldn't worry about it too much. He's still much too young. Just keep repeating words and pointing. He will know what they are and will use them when he's ready. I am teaching my daughter english and spanish and i just keep repeating everything in both languages and she is getting it. She isn't using sentences yet but she is babbling and she does use alot of one words in both spanish and english.. but that is because i keep repeating them to her.

don't rush.. be patient and keep doing what you are doing. And dont' frighten the child into talking.. it will only make it worse.
    i bet you are doing a good job. some kinds don't talk until they are 3.. some around 18 months.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• one of my kids (i have twins) they are very good at talkin to me but he doesn't call me mama he calls me by my name and my other son calls me mama, thats a big issue i have about them talking. they are 21 months old and one talks all the time and the other just throws fits and points....they hate books they will tear them apart...they dont watch tv much but they love listenin to music...all i can say is keep tryin and they will catch on to words, i have tried everything but nothin seems to work but just sittin around talkin to them askin them questions like with yes or no answers and they seem to get the hang of it and point and say i want it if its what they want....good luck i know its hard but it works for me!!
    shaestwins2

Answer by shaestwins2 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I'd say just keep talking to him, tell him you love him, read to him. It'll work out. :)
    Jeanere

Answer by Jeanere at 3:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't worry to much about it and don't make it a big deal. Something important to do (and difficult and ackward) is narrate your day. "Mommy is going to get you cereal. Yum. Cheerios. Look a bee on the box. a yellow bee..." You will probably feel really stupid but it works amazingly well. My daughter is in speech therapy and that is pretty much what they are teaching me. Play games and talk about it. Ask questions. Don't expect answers but as he starts getting older be sure to pause and give him a chance to talk. Sometimes we don't talk enough and sometimes we talk to much and they can't get a word in lol.
    kswyo

Answer by kswyo at 5:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would be concerned but not too worried. Talk to your pediatrician. He may suggest you see a speech therapist. Every child does things at different paces.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2009