How do you order drinks at a bar?

This is an honest to goodness question, as silly as it may seem.

I'm turning 21 in ten days. We're not going to go crazy or anything, but we are going to go to a place with a bar.

Could I just tell the bartender to recommend something, or can I tell them I've just turned 21 and I don't know what to say? I don't want to look stupid.

OH and do you have any recommendations? I like fruity stuff. I don't really like beer.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Lemon Drops. They are a shot, and they are super good.

There are always mixed drinks, Tequila Sunrise might be a good one for you.

You could do a fruity margarita, I like Strawberry.

I'm not good at "fruity" mixed drinks, lol, I like rum and coke (but it has to be a spiced rum - clear rum is gross IMO)

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• you can ask the bartender to recommend something sweet and fruity you wont know what you like until you try it out and since u dont usually drink thats the best way to figure it out. I like sweet drinks too and if you like sweet drinks try an amerato sour they are really good or a strawberrie daqurie.
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Do most bars carry the same kinds of ingredients for drinks? I'll keep what you guys say in mind, I'm so excited to finally be able to try all these things xD I've been a good girl and have pretty much stayed away from alcohol until my 21st birthday.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Orange crush!! vodka triple sec oj, and sprite.... MMMMMMM Taste like orange soda. Every bartender has a drink they rock at. Either they have made it up themselves or the take a recipe and add there TLC to it. Just ask. Just don't go to a really busy bar on like a friday night and stand there looking like a deer in headlights cause you'll get a vodka cranberry everytime. LOL have fun!!!!!!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I like a bulldog, it isn't fruity, but it is sweet and TASTY!
    Also, I told the bartender it was my 21st and got a free drink. He chose a nut and fruity. Yummy!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Heehee my birthday is on a Monday this year xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• If you like fruity stuff you will definitely like a malibu bay breeze! I would just tell them that you just turned 21 and have never drank before and ask for a recommendation. They should be happy to help you!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Amaretto Sours. They are really good and the alcohol content is low. It's a shot of amaretto, lemon and lime juice and simple syrup. They usually top it off with a cherry or an orange. That is my go to girly drink. Girly drinks are always pricier though, so I tend to just stick to making them at home.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 2:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I am not a drinker but I occasionally enjoy a mudslide with a nice meal, it is chocolaty and taste like a milkshake. Congrats and have a fun in a safe way.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I can not drink beer gives me a bad hangover in the morning even if I drink one...but I love and can drink them all night long...white russians. They taste like chocolate milk.Also depends on what bar you go to..but here in Flordia if you tell them you just turn 21 sometimes bartenders give you a free drinks or others inside the bar might just buy you a couple of rounds. Also, please please watch your drink or have a very close friend watch them for you...they still do slip mickeys in there and make sure you go home with your friend and not a stranger.Sorry..I am a mother.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 3:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009