Best convertible carseat?

DD is 7months old 20lbs and 28.5 inches. Our carseat limit is 22lbs and 29inches, so we are looking for a new carseat. :) Anyone have any advice? I want one that is convertible, but I do plan on ERF (extended rear facing). I'd like one that is side impact tested and reasonably priced. :)

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 12:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have done some research and we are going with the Radian by Sunshine kids. The are side impact tested and have a steel frame. they weigh almost as much as your child though. We just ordered ours last night. My 1 yo is about 27 inches and weighs about 16 pounds. These seats are on the more expensive side and I think that it will totally be worth the extra money.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i have done just a alittle research and have joined the car seat safety group... so you may want to join them because they have lots of advise to give! one that i am lookin at gettin is called the trufit. but there are several good ones and not every good car seat is good for every situation
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I also got a Sunshine Kids Radian 80. It's awesome. I looked long and hard to find the "right" seat and this is it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• http://www.maxi-cosi.com/maxicosi/productdetail.aspx?id=22&tn=2

This is the one I got after weeks of research! I wanted to spend the least, but more importantly I was worried about the safety. This got great ratings in Europe who has higher safety standards than US has and I found one on a shopping site at a discounted price because of discontinued colors.
    We LOVE it!!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I had a Britax Decathlon for my son, and now a Britax Boulevard for my daughter. We're into ERF, so having a very safe, high weigh harness is important to us! All of the Britax convertibles have side-impact protection, and the Boulevard (and Advocate, I believe, which is a compact convertible... for the smaller car, it's rear faces to 35 and forward to 40) have True Side Impact Protection. The Marathon is basically a Decathlon minus the padding... I could go on and on about Britax seats... I'm Britax spoiled haha! Their website has a really cool comparison feature, so you might check that out.

MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 2:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• If you're looking for something a little less expensive, the First Years TrueFit is a great seat, RF to 35 and FF to 65. It's got the tallest shell on the market, which is really good for tall, skinny kids. Also, check out my journal on car seats. =]
    MelanieLouise

• I think if you are going to do ERF I would try to get a True Fit or a My Ride... I would have liked either of those seats but at the time we couldn't afford them. We have 2 Evenflo Triuph Advance... which also are really nice and rear face to 35 lbs (but the other 2 rear face longer)... we also plan to ERF
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2009