• In the Spotlight:

why so much opposition to harness?

Why do Americans have such a ridiculous opposition to harnesses? They are wonderful and in America we have a serious problem with obesity so they really help with excercise. We used ours at County Fairs, Amusement Parks, Airports etc.

When our boy and girl were toddlers their harness were pink for her and blue for him and they looked adorable! Also very quickly your toddlers will figured out that if they wear their "harny" they get a bit of freedom and they will love them as did our children.

Try attaching them to the stroller instead of ones wrist - yup love love love the harness!!!

einubermommy

Asked by einubermommy at 12:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they do have harnesses for teenagers.. It's called VIDEO GAMES and chat lines. LOL...

i love those harnesses. I never used one for my boys but i'm thinking about using it for my daughter.. she usually stays close by but i just feel like it would keep her a little safer.

And i agree...we need to teach our kids to listen to us..but.. come on.. we know those 2 year olds.. don't. LOL.. half the time.. that's the time i'm worried about ... LOL..

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't have any opposition to using a harness. We have a hand me down one that my niece never wore. It is a really cute back pack that is a teddy bear. As my LO starts walking more she will begin wearing the back pack portion around the house. She will soon learn that if she doesn't have it on she won't be able to walk alone.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I used one for oldest DD all the time. She was the type of toddler who would just take off if I didn't have a hold of her. She loved it. It gave her freedom to walk & run on her own. I used it with DS a bit as well. I never used it with youngest DD. I'm not sure why. She was just one of those kids who liked to be close to me. I never worried about her wandering off. Plus, she loved the baby backpack whereas oldest DD would never tolerate a front or back pack carrier.

I love the ones they have now that are little stuffed animals!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I dont see a problem with useing a harness as long as its not too much. I think there are atot of toddlers out there that like to just run off and they fight to hold hands, so for these kids, it would be great. I have seen alot of moms with multipal children walking down the road and the LOs are just running out in the street....These people should uses the harness. I think they are ok too, for stuff like the fair. As long as you just dont "leash" your hild all the time, its ok.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I also approve of harnesses. :)

Answer by Bmat at 12:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I never used them, always thought they looked like a leash but was never opposed to them. Who cares if someone uses one? I used a binky and people thought I was horrible!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have a monkey harness for my son (almost 18 mos old) and I love it. A lot of people think it's disrespectful and degrading. They think you're treating your child like a dog. I would much rather have my kiddo in a harness than have him slip out of my grip and get hit by a car or something.
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 12:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I've never had to use one (yet) but I would if I felt it was needed to keep my child safe.

I agree... why the opposition to other parents doing what they feel they need to do to keep their child safe and happy? You aren't raising my child. You don't know her personality or what she needs to keep her safe. You only know YOUR child and what is needed for HIM. Every child is truly different, reacts differently to different parenting techniques and tricks, has different personalities. Expecting every child in the world to behave exactly like your own does denies your own child's uniqueness and individuality. Mine isn't a cookie cutter kid. I know she is unique and special. It's sad that so many parents don't see that in their own child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't use them. I don't have a reason to, DS is very good and stays close by, usually holding on the the carriage or walking right next to it when we're out. For ME, I'd rather teach my kids to just listen to me and stay close by just by listening to me, not by a harness pulling them.
    BUT I don't care that other people use the harness, it doesn't bother me and it's none of my business.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• if rude people make a "dog leash" remark - just say "hay put a harness on your mouth - beeeach"

just kidding

a Toddler is a strange (and fast) animal with a very short attention span and now that my two toddlers are young teens I can say that the weirdest times in a humans life are toddler and teen years. Those years take a lot of patience, parenting and prayer. so if a small thing like a harness helps your active toddler to be safe and get excercise!!! go for it!

Too bad they dont have harness for teenagers!!! lol
    einubermommy

Answer by einubermommy at 12:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009