stinky disposal

stinky disposal
my garbage disposal broke and it smells like ass probablly old food or something anyone have any advice of how to get the nasty smell out of my house,the water drains when the sink is full but it drains at a very slow pace,i cant stand the smell and need someadvice on how to get rid of it with my non working disposal

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• try vinager - sometimes that helps w/ smelly things
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 12:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• use baking soda and vinegar!!
    DEBANDJERSMOM

Answer by DEBANDJERSMOM at 12:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• srinkle naking soda down there, then pour vinager down there and let it sit for awhile....hopefully that will help! Good Luck
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Sprinkle Baking*

sorry idk what happened there
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• baking soda + vinegar + a lemon bead that you can find at wal mart in the kitchen section
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Buy a whole new box of baking soda (it does get old and stops working good) and sprinkle the whole box down the drain and let it sit for 1/2 hour. Then pour boiling water down the drain to wash it out, and flush afterwards with hot tap water. This SHOULD take most of the smell out. If not you're going to have to get someone to go under there with a pipe wrench and take the grease trap (gooseneck) off and get at the problem. Hope your DH, SO or dad is handy...plumbers charge a small ransom.
    Anonymous

• It is really easy to put in a new disposal. My dh did it and he has no mechanical abilities, he is a book worm/nerd.
    My 60 year old mom put hers in as well.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• lemon peels
    graciesmom164

Answer by graciesmom164 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• nothing is going to make the smell go away until you remove the old disposal because there is probably food stuck in/to the blades. Whatever rotting food is stuck down there is going to continue to smell. My landlord replaced one for me once, and my husband recently replaced ours. He's a great fixer, but the directions didn't look too hard (not that he used them, of course) :)

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Lemon juice
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009