brushing a toddler's teeth

My toddler 23 months drives me NUTS when I try to brush her teeth. She chews on the toothbrush or simply refuses to let me get the tooth brush in! I'm going nuts because I really want to clean her teeth at least 2 a day. any suggestions would be nice.

azaleasmom14

Asked by azaleasmom14 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tickle her to make her laugh and when she opens her mouth get the brush in there! My son does the exact same thing, so what I do is tell him to go "Ahhhhh" and then start brushing as soon as he does it. I have to make that sound repeatedly (sp?) to get the job done, but whatever works I guess!
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 12:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• After me son lets me brush his for a couple of minutes I let him brush mine. I just keep reminding him his turn is next and he has to keep his mouth open. That's been working for a little while, but I know he'll bored with it eventually. I'll check back to see what other tips you get!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I tell mine, "I see a ______(whatever they ate that day) in there, I need to get it out" in a really fun, excited voice. Then for the front I have them say "cheeeeeezer" and I brush the front.

Occasionally when they are having a grumpy day, I have to tell them that they will be punished if they don't let me brush, and that usually pulls them out of their grumpiness.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i just give my lil one a tooth brush with baby toothpaste on it,and i stroke her teeth a few times then let her have it,even if shes chewing on it,it s better then nothing
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i let mine do her own first then i tell her i have to do them now to make sure she got everything that way shes learing to do it on her own but im still making sure they are clean she still fights most of the time for me to do them but when she does i just tell her she can brush a few more mins then its my turn if that dont work then i lay her down on my bed and make her open up so i can get them clean .... that may sound mean but teeth problems run in my family and i def dont want her having any
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thanks for all the great tips and posting this question. I have a 14 month old and right now i try to brush her teeth but usually end up letting her bite on it. I figure it is better than nothing.
    tblur29

Answer by tblur29 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2009