Wake up crying....

Does your LO always wake up crying? Every morning and after his nap he cries for about 20 minutes. He just sits on my lap crying and whining like he really doesn't want to be up yet. But I don't wake him up I wait until he's standing in the crib reaching for me or calling for me. He's almost 2 years old. Any tips?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter does this sometimes.. I think they just get awakened before they are really ready. There are times when she cries her head off..and times when she just lays in the crib and babbles and other times when she calls me. Dont' worry too much about it.. just make sure baby is safe and knows you are near. Holding him is good too.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• he's probably just slow to wake up all the way. my daughter does this sometimes, even when she wakes up on her own, either when she had a rough night sleeping or didn't sleep long enough. she used to do it all the time til she was 3, now she wakes up full force ready to play.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My son did that for awhile, he just turned two. I would just put him back in bed, give him his stuff animal & cover him up. He would say 'thank you'. Lay down for about 10 more mins. Then get up ready to go.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 1:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my 15 month old does this sometimes. I've noticed he does this when his nap isnt long enough. He sleeps in our bed so normally when he starts to wake up I'll go in and lay with him for a few minutes. Sometimes he falls back asleep and other times he's up and ready to play. I think sometimes he's really not ready to get up but he wants to make sure I'm stil around.
    newmama008

Answer by newmama008 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My son does that. I rock him for a bit then he usually goes back to sleep for awhile. When he wakes up smiling and happy then I know he got his nap out!
    Gavsmama06

Answer by Gavsmama06 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009