what is Quietism-I read it in the Calling Catholics question.

I have never heard of this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised catholic and i don't know what it is either.
    Anonymous

• It is an old Philosophy of gaining spirituality or closeness with God by meditation of some sorty. It is deemed by the Catholic church to be heretical.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12608c.htm
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It's more than gaining closeness with God by meditation. The essence of quietism is that perfection lies in the complete passivity of the soul before God and the absorption of the individual in the divine love to the point of annihilation not only of will but of all effort or desire for effort. It basically goes against the idea of a community and that we are called to help each other. It's not a Catholic belief at all - but something the church declared as heritcal. (So not many Catholics would be aware of it unless they've studied theology/philosophy.)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2009