how do you feel about leashes?

my three year old is too big for his stroller and I hate going into large crowds having to carry him around because he is a scape artist. Therefore, I was looking into those wrist leashes (the ones that attach to my wrists and his), not the ones that have a monkey or some other animal on the back and you hold the end. I was wondering what other mother thought of this because before I had my son I felt bad for those kids on leashes (the ones with the monkeys) but now I do not think it is such a bad idea. what you ladies think?

saysha100687

Asked by saysha100687 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So funny to see parents walking their kids like dogs. I"m sorry maybe it works for some people. We go out to a lot of different places & both my kids know that you hold hands & do not run off alone. I wouldn't leash my kids. If they don't remember the rules & run off then we go home. End of story. That's probably why they usually don't stray.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 1:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

That's exactly how I feel. I take my kids with me all the time and have never had this issue. They know you don't run off and if they do then they don't get to be big boys/girls and go with Mommy. If you instill it in your child when their young, that it's bad to run off and that they could get lost or hurt, there is no need to harness or leash.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have one for my daughter. The Monkey one, It's also a little backpack. It's not that I have a problem with her running away its just that I have a 1 year old too. I use it to make sure we dont get separated or no one takes her. I don't always have and extra hand! I only use it when we go to the Zoo or Aquarium or something like that. I too thought OMG I'd never put my child on a leash but It's handy and she likes it :)
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• We've used the backpack harnesses with all of our kids. They always held our hands, but the "leash" gave us an extra measure of protection in a crowd helping to keep some pervert from snatching them right from our hands.

I personally think it's hilarious that dog owners will protect their dogs with a simple leash but won't afford their own children an extra measure of protection.
    Anonymous

• I am all for the back pack or the wrist leash system. Both of my kids are really friendly and you just never know. I'd say so long as your respectful about the leash system ie not yanking it to get the kid to cooperate your fine.
    SwiftFolk

Answer by SwiftFolk at 2:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Its not that I have a problem with my son running off because he knows better. I just like to know that he is safe and I like anon reason for not wanting someone snatching their kids especially in a crowded place. The other reason I was thinking about this was when he has to hold my hand, his poor little arm is up in the air for hours, which could not be comfortable. Therefore, putting the wrist "leash" on him would be more comfortable. thanks for the responses ladies!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have the wrist thing- I have bought two of them, I am about to return the second one. It has broken at very bad times. . . as for leashing I do not like that term, some children are great at listening to their parents- some are more independant- I don't spank, and sometimes we are not in a situation where we will leave simply because he is not holding my hand- so keeping my kiddo close is important to me- but the backpacks worked better for us- the wrist thing was just expensive ($20 for the one we bought) and it broke- not good
    Anonymous

• I think they are horrid.. But I have a runner and if I go out with the twins and my my 4 yr old I have to put the harness on the 2 yr old. I only have two arms and the kids like to drift in opposite diections. I do not go out often by myself.. For this reason
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think when i'm flying just me and my son and i'm carrying my purse, his carry-on, my carry-on and our suitcase through a crowded busy airport I rely heavily on that "leash" to make sure no one runs off with my child. I also don't really have an issue with people using them at zoos either because kids run, especially boys, and places like my local zoo are always packed and if the kids decides to take off even if you were the best parent in the world that child would disapear into the crowd quickly. Its just an extra procaution I think not really an excuse for parents to be lazy or not watch their kids. That being said, I to think the backpacks are a better idea then the wrist leash. I have heard stories of the wrist one giving burns if the child struggled, and most kids are happier to wear a backpack then something on their wrist. The backpacks are also cuter, and then the kids can carry some of their own things.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have one and I give my daughter the choice of holding hands, or wearing the monkey backpack. Sometimes she actually wants to wear it and loves having me hold the "tail." Other times I use it like you would a time-out if she decides that she wants to run away/not hold hands. The majority of the time she likes to hold my hand. She is 2 and I also have an 9 month old.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2009