Is this just part of a regular 2 year old tantrum or is this an anger issue? Advice Needed!

When she gets mad, she runs over to her chair, pauses briefly, and knocks it over. She does it every single time she gets into trouble, does not get her way, etc.

How would you handle your child doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• If she is only aiming her temper at a chair it sounds like a healthy way to get rid of the anger. Remember at 2 you control very little in your life. You don't have the words, most of the time, to say what you are feeling. You want to be an independant person but you still need mom and dad all the time. So she takes her frustration out on something smaller. Just reinforce to her that hitting or knocking over mr. chair is fine but hitting people isn't.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• OMG! That's my girl when she get's mad. I think it's more of a control issue not a behavriol problm. I would say to her "are you going to pick that up?" which of course the response would be a NO or stomping her feet! So I pick her up, we go upstairs, kicking & screming the whole way. Sit on the bed & stay right there!!! She'd cry or fuss if she gets up I would sit her back down, even if I had to just sit in the doorway & watch her the entire time. When she calms down. I say again, "are you going to go downstairs & pick up that chair" If it's a yes, then yay! it's over. When it's a NO. Then your sitting on your bed until your ready to drop the attitude & pick up the chair. Yes time consuming but it only lasted about 2 weeks......haven't had to deal with that since.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 1:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I used to work with children who had autism...I'm not in anyway implying that your child has special needs. However, I've always felt that other children could also benefit with the same type of training. Personally, I would try to nip this behavior in the bud. It's a chair now, but later it could be other more dangerous items that could hurt herself or others. For example, she could start throwing the chair at you or when she goes to school, it could be another child that she pushes over. At this age, she may not have the words or ability to communicate her anger appropriately and needs your help to do so. She also needs to know that you understand that she is angry. So much to say on this topic...if you want you can message me to chat more about this.
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yep pretty normal. My DD does it too. We do make her pick everything up that she throws though when she is done! It helps keep what she throws minimal.
    luvmybaby

Answer by luvmybaby at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009