Is the belief that the Bible is the inerrant word of God a prerequisite to Christianity?

logansmomma2007

Asked by logansmomma2007 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hope not. God didn't write the Bible. A bunch of random people did. The bible is very unorganized and self contradicting compared to other religious books. But I do see many Christians who believe it is "God's" undeniable word.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I personally don't believe so, but I am sure there are those who do.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The Bible may have been written by men but they wrote what God instructed them to. Jesus said in John 5:39 that, "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;"  Then in John 12:49 Jesus made it clear... "For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.  

Again, in John 17:8 Jesus said, "For I have given to them the words which you gave me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from you, and they have believed that you did send Me."

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 2:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Romans 10:17, "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."  Romans 10:13, "...for, everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."  2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 2:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• If you don't believe the Bible is true then you have no hope of salvation because it tells us who Jesus is and about His plan of salvation. I hear people say all the time, "There are too many contradictions in the Bible" yet when I ask them for proof, they can't ever provide it. The attempts they have made are always verses taken out of context.

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 2:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The Bible is the only Living book. It is the infallible word of God. If you don't accept the word of God as truth, then you are basing your beliefs on what...your feelings? Feelings change, following your feelings will have you going in different directions at different times, neither here nor there. God and His word is unchanging. If you believe in and seek to follow Christ, how would it be that you would come to know Him without God's word?
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I know a lot of people here who don't believe the Bible is the inspired  Word of God. But I fully believe that it is. If you read psalm 119 and all the scriptures listed above. we should use the Bible as the standard for our faith. If we don't have a standard then we can be decieved. We have a higher truth.

The Word of God is alive-- it give us faith, it changes our hearts, it reveals to us the heart and mind of God, it directs our steps. Jesus even calls Himself, "The Word of God" --God's word is powerful and I fully believe that holy men of God wrote as they were completely directed by the Holy Spirit.

The article below also might help you understand some essential Christian worldviews.

Essential Christian Worldviews

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Are you all referring to the entire Bible, or just the New Testament? I could point out many things in the Old Testament that have grieved my spirit.

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God; however, I also believe it takes God's Wisdom and the Holy Spirit to understand it and see how it applies within the framework of your life. It's not a factual book about science or culture or philosophy - but it is God's inspired Word to lead us into a deeper relationship with Christ.

Is believing that it is inerrant a prerequisite for Christianity? No. Faith in Jesus as Christ as the Son of God, the renunciation of Sin, and belief in the Trinity are requirements, but the Bible is a tool to help us deepen our faith, it is not a prerequisite. In fact, in the Apostle's Creed, there is NOTHING in there about believing that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. Additionally, Christians were around before the Bible was finalized, so again, it's not a prerequisite. It's a gift from God to be used as a tool and guide.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't think it is. The best - and most liberating - description of being a Christian is:

" ... the community to which all men belong who look to the Christ as their Helper and Guide ..."
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2009